• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,309 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

If there is a lack of data, that sounds like a niche. I bet the big navigation data companies are hard at work - TeleAtlas and the like.

Networking is probably key to landing projects as well - to meet people in the niche and introduce yourself. It could also be a point to network with larger businesses in the field, to catch extra work when they have peaks.

I don't know how it is in India, I suspect it is very different - but here (Sweden) business are very keen on using consultants these days, rather than having fully employed people. That way they don't have to worry about keeping people busy when business is slower (esp. since it is almost impossible to fire people here). So work is outsourced to consultants to a very high degree.

For networking - there could also be a point to hook up with some "competitors", especially when your niche/skills only partially overlap - that way you can catch each others overflow projects and you can also subcontract some friend for those things that you can't handle.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

pramod

pramod

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi freinds.

I am freelancer from nepal and need some advice on this interesting work cartograhpy.I have 5 years of experiences of doing gis work.Firstly I am happy that I have earn $10 from maps.com for doing there projects.But still i am surfing net to get more freelancing cartography jobs.So if any one know more about this let me know.And how should I proceude my further work to grab more projects on cartography.YOur valuable information will be helpful for me.

Thank you
pramod mishra
kathmandu,nepal

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Pramod,

Here's another thread with some useful information: How do you great guys land so many projects?

Most importantly: show off what you can do. Don't just talk about it, but set up a portfolio. Feel free to post something in the map gallery here for a review.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Most importantly: show off what you can do. Don't just talk about it, but set up a portfolio. Feel free to post something in the map gallery here for a review.

Han's quote (above) is the key to success, in my opinion. In a visual field such as mapping, none of us can really afford to only TELL people what we can do. We've got to SHOW people what we can do. I'm always amazed at the recent grads or other individuals who send me a resume and cover letter out of the blue...asking if our team at mapformation might be looking for someone like them to join us. My boilerplate reply is almost always: "Thanks for your interest in our firm! Your resume/degree was interesting to review. However, in order to be able to effectively gauge the potential for considering your services, we will need to see several samples of your design work."

I've seen a lot of that being sent to us recently from India/China/Malaysia too....emails or phone calls telling me that people charge very affordable prices and are trained in dozens of software programs. I always think to myself, "that's all fine and good, but you've got to S-H-O-W me what you are capable of related to previous design work." Someone could offer to develop map designs for FREE...but if their portfolio doesn't meet certain criteria, they could potentially be a liability.

Not saying these comments relate to you in any way, Pramod! I'm just reinforcing Hans' suggestion to post samples of your work or direct us to some type of online portfolio....as I think that would make it a lot easier for CartoTalk participants to offer specific suggestions/advice.

Best wishes in your future endeavors! B)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

I've merged Pramod's thread into the larger one. Hopefully we can make this the central location for all discussions on how to start and be succesful as a freelance cartographer.

And to expand on what Derek and I stated previously:
If I'm looking to outsource work, or to team up with another freelancer on a project, I care a lot more about quality than price. That's why I want to see it first.

Please don't be afraid to post your work here for review. It may sound scary, but it's all constructive criticism brought in a civilized way and it will help you to improve your work.
Red Geographics

pramod

pramod

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks Hans van der Maarel for giving a good advice.I am a new user to cartography so it may sound bit odd to ask question so directly.I will be making some portfolio and showing some work.Can i ask you?Is maps.com is only site that provides freelancing jobs?ok take care

pramod mishra
kathmandu,nepal

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Netherlands

I'm not sure whether there are any other sites offering freelance work like maps.com. I certainly don't know of any. Don't forget that word-of-mouth is very important too. In fact, that's how I get the majority of my work in.

Looking forward to seeing your work.
Red Geographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Thanks Hans van der Maarel for giving a good advice.I am a new user to cartography so it may sound bit odd to ask question so directly.I will be making some portfolio and showing some work.Can i ask you?Is maps.com is only site that provides freelancing jobs?ok take care

pramod mishra
kathmandu,nepal

It takes money, time, & patience to get started in a cartographic freelance career especially if economics is a factor. I just ordered my desktop, now I need high speed, software, licenses, & credit cards. You should look at joining organizations close to your location, check the local market as a starting point, spread the word of mouth as I have been trying, ask other freelancers if they are looking to fish out sub contracts, & advertise yourself through the local media.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->