4 replies to this topic

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Has anyone noticed any improved performance? I tried the CS3 on two PCs, both with fast CPUs and 2gig of ram and panning / zooming does not feel any faster than in CS2. The reviews claim 50% boost on Macs. I don't see anything worth spending $600 on PC side.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Has anyone noticed any improved performance? I tried the CS3 on two PCs, both with fast CPUs and 2gig of ram and panning / zooming does not feel any faster than in CS2. The reviews claim 50% boost on Macs. I don't see anything worth spending $600 on PC side.

I'm always weary of claims like "50% faster". In what context? Is it 50% faster when you're designing an A4 flyer? Is it still 50% faster when working on a huge map?

I tried the trial version some time ago, but never got around to testing some really large documents. I'll see if I have some time soon to run some CS2 vs CS3 tests with a stopwatch...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I upgraded to CS3 and have not noticed any significant change in speed. Although on certain maps with tons of street labels, it seems to slow down after 2 hrs of use, so I close/up the app.
Maybe its a font thing. Not sure yet.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

upgrading to CS3 soon for Mac. i'll post up my results.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We've upgraded. It works great. Open and save are niceably faster.

Most imporantly, importing from Freehand MX is just about seamless. You still have issues of closed text boxes converting to text-in-a-box (Somewhere there's a plug-in waiting to be made that takes text-in-a-box in AI and converts it to text-on-a-point and adds carraige returns as appropriate. And some other minor type-shift issues, but a HUGE improvement. I think we are now done with half-Freehand, half-Illustrator workflow here.

Have not done the MaPublisher upgrade, and that will have to wait until I get back from vacation. Looking forward though!

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->