10 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

Has anyone else been experiencing slow and sometimes non-responsive Cartotalk (not the members, of course, but the pages of the forum)? Or is it just me? It seems like there's much time spent waiting for pages to come up.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Has anyone else been experiencing slow and sometimes non-responsive Cartotalk (not the members, of course, but the pages of the forum)? Or is it just me? It seems like there's much time spent waiting for pages to come up.

Yeah, I'm noticing that too.

Another thing I'm seeing is that sometimes when I click on a link, my browser (Firefox 2.0) tries to download the .php file instead of simply opening the page. Not sure what's causing that, but I only have it with Cartotalk.

Then again, according to the web developer toolbar, this page (i.e. the one where you type your reply) features 519 kb of data, compressed! This includes no less than 84 images.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Yep. I also have to login each time I post. (is that a cookie thing?)

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Then again, according to the web developer toolbar, this page (i.e. the one where you type your reply) features 519 kb of data, compressed! This includes no less than 84 images.

Preach it, Brother Hans! :)

519KB for a chat forum is a TON of bandwidth being chewed. I've offered to at least strip a lot of the graphics on the site down to a flying tin can (without anyone noticing a difference visually), but I know Nick has had 101 things going on of late...so I'm just thankful I have a place like CartoTalk to come and hang out a few times per day. It's a great site/service! That said, if we could get this site down below 150-200KB on many of the pages, it would be even better.
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Netherlands

519KB for a chat forum is a TON of bandwidth being chewed. I've offered to at least strip a lot of the graphics on the site down to a flying tin can (without anyone noticing a difference visually), but I know Nick has had 101 things going on of late...so I'm just thankful I have a place like CartoTalk to come and hang out a few times per day. It's a great site/service! That said, if we could get this site down below 150-200KB on many of the pages, it would be even better.

The main culprits are the 2 ads that are on the page. There's 3 being rotated now (NACIS, Avenza and Maps.com) and one of those files is rather big: 600-something kb. If we could just tone that one down a bit, it'd save a lot.
Red Geographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

The question is how much is really downloaded per request - I would assume most of the javascript and images are cached, and then there is http compression... (the uncompressed size is not relevant for trying to assess the lag and slowness in downloading, but you knew that :) )
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

The main culprits are the 2 ads that are on the page. There's 3 being rotated now (NACIS, Avenza and Maps.com) and one of those files is rather big: 600-something kb. If we could just tone that one down a bit, it'd save a lot.

Aah. All I have to say then is "Thank goodness for Firefox and the Adblock Plus extension!" I don't see any ads on 99% of the sites I visit...INCLUDING CartoTalk. I can see they are there if I want to....but why would I want to?! ;)

That said, I'm sure those banner ads could be placed on a substantial diet without affecting their quality on-screen. I haven't seen the ads, but in the VAST majority of cases, there is always a lot of bits and bytes that are being wasted related to imagery and the internet.
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

Aah. All I have to say then is "Thank goodness for Firefox and the Adblock Plus extension!" I don't see any ads on 99% of the sites I visit...INCLUDING CartoTalk. I can see they are there if I want to....but why would I want to?! ;)

Wow! What a difference!

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

As Derek pointed out I do have a million things going on, but I have a visual redesign in the works for Cartotalk that will reduce the graphics load somewhat. I will also look at the size of the ads.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I did some analysis and one thing that was slowing my browser down was all the flags at the bottom of the home page. They are tiny files but because there are 80+ of them now, that is a lot of HTTP requests. I have changed it to a text list for now. If people don't see a big speed improvement on the home page or really, really liked the list of flags we can put them back.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Netherlands

I did some analysis and one thing that was slowing my browser down was all the flags at the bottom of the home page. They are tiny files but because there are 80+ of them now, that is a lot of HTTP requests. I have changed it to a text list for now. If people don't see a big speed improvement on the home page or really, really liked the list of flags we can put them back.

It's definately loading faster. The flags were cool, but 80+ http requests do slow things down, so I'd prefer the text version.
Red Geographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->