- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

chauncey

chauncey

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:How to make attractive pictures representing where stuff is and the patterns it makes with where other stuff is, was, will be or could be.
  • United States

Hello CartoTalkers,
I am stuck between Arc GIS ARc Map 9.1 and AI CS 1,,, any thing new out there for me to use to make me make my boss buy MaPublisher, like tomorrow?

I see that if i had started in Mapublisher i might be there by now, but can get every thing from a set of one inch to one fifth mile trail maps (lotsa anno) into AI formats; eps, svg, pdf, etc, B UT I can not adjust ( ie MOVE) the 2-5 mb .svg or .ai or .eps or anything much out of arc map exports are "too big" and give insufficient memory errors... that is RAM right? i have 2.5 GB RAM on Win XPro (using Pentium 4 , 2.8 gb, Hyper thread on or off) and hear that MS win XP will not use much more...max 4, more than 2 dubious,

i just need to "move" (register) the export vector, raster etc from Amap to AI... but even just the Anno layers (three? ) from one map lock my work and home computer's install of A I 10 and CS ver 1.....

One googles MapUBLISHER and you can t even get a price, let alone old school features like details of convert ArcMap to AI, all about .kml these days... any advice for the print impaired?

please advise

thanks,

chaunceygraves@gmail.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I see that if i had started in Mapublisher i might be there by now, but can get every thing from a set of one inch to one fifth mile trail maps (lotsa anno) into AI formats; eps, svg, pdf, etc, B UT I can not adjust ( ie MOVE) the 2-5 mb .svg or .ai or .eps or anything much out of arc map exports are "too big" and give insufficient memory errors... that is RAM right? i have 2.5 GB RAM on Win XPro (using Pentium 4 , 2.8 gb, Hyper thread on or off) and hear that MS win XP will not use much more...max 4, more than 2 dubious,

What do you mean by adjust/move with the exports? Your memory should be enough, I think you have some other issue.

For MAPublisher - I think there is a trial that you can request to play with.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I have had memory problems trying to export detailed mixed raster/vector maps out of ArcMap at ANSI E (at even 300 DPI). My solution was to resize to ANSI C and export at 600 DPI - it worked like a charm.

When it came to print I just saved as a PDF and resized in Acrobat.

Hope you can get something to work out. I have always used the .ai export since it was re-written for 8.x.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->