2 replies to this topic

Nadia

Nadia

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi everyone,
I spent 3 weeks browsing the web to search for a world map which could be easily editable, not linked to other website (like google map) and absolutely free to use for my website. Basically, I am a photographer and i need to use a world map which shows country and cities , which i would like to design and adapt to the needs of my site. Does anyone know how to do this, if it is toatlly free, which software to use, and if it is compatible with Dreamweaver. The idea, would be that anyone could browse the map and see my pictures in the highlighted area (for ex: click on the city and see pictures linked to this city). I hope i am in the right thread. By the way i am a total beginner, so please don't use any technical words, that i could not understand. Thanks so much for your help, Nadia
dianam1976@yahoo.fr

:blink: :o

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi everyone,
I spent 3 weeks browsing the web to search for a world map which could be easily editable, not linked to other website (like google map) and absolutely free to use for my website. Basically, I am a photographer and i need to use a world map which shows country and cities , which i would like to design and adapt to the needs of my site. Does anyone know how to do this, if it is toatlly free, which software to use, and if it is compatible with Dreamweaver. The idea, would be that anyone could browse the map and see my pictures in the highlighted area (for ex: click on the city and see pictures linked to this city). I hope i am in the right thread. By the way i am a total beginner, so please don't use any technical words, that i could not understand. Thanks so much for your help, Nadia
dianam1976@yahoo.fr

:blink: :o

Hate to say it, but Google Maps would be one of the easiest ways to do this. Other than that, you'd be looking at a custom mapserver or something in Flash (in which case it would be a lot of work to make it truly dynamic).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It might be possible to do this is using one of the competitors (yahoo, msn, ask, etc) to google maps as well, right? (although I am not sure about how mashupable they are)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->