3 replies to this topic

cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

One of my fellow GIS guys here at work was laid-off a few weeks ago and I'm trying to play catchup and edit some of the maps he made. I can open all but one of the map documents he created. Has anyone had a similar experience? When I try to open it either from the file directory or directly in ArcMap, there is a long pause and then I get a message that there has been an error and ArcMap must shut down and I can't open the file. Does anyone know how to fix this or repair an MXD file? Thanks in advance!

Eric

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

One of my fellow GIS guys here at work was laid-off a few weeks ago and I'm trying to play catchup and edit some of the maps he made. I can open all but one of the map documents he created. Has anyone had a similar experience? When I try to open it either from the file directory or directly in ArcMap, there is a long pause and then I get a message that there has been an error and ArcMap must shut down and I can't open the file. Does anyone know how to fix this or repair an MXD file? Thanks in advance!

Eric

You could always try running the "Check Geometry" tool on the various features associated with the map. If a problem is found you could follow up with "Repair Geometry". This has worked for me in the past when I ran into problems. I believe those tools are in the Data Management>Features menu. Beyond that I have no idea what could cause that to happen.

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

I believe there is a free download called the MXD Doctor. I used it a few years ago to fix an mxd file.

-Wes

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

I believe there is a free download called the MXD Doctor. I used it a few years ago to fix an mxd file.

-Wes

mxd dr USUALLY is in the default installation. if your net admin installed it. if not, just get the cd's and install it.

on my windows machine: START --> PROGRAMS --> ARCGIS --> DEVELOPER TOOLS --> MXD DR.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->