• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

JimBlakeslee

JimBlakeslee

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Interactive Map Applications: Flash, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • United States

This is a bit of a work in progress, but let me know your experiences with this site I am doing:
DowntownBethesda.com

The actual map is done in flash and is the bottom link on the home page-- it has layers, zoom, pan, etc. The map defintion is pulled from an XML map definition file, with SWF layers, making it totally portable.

The points on the map are drawn in real-time against a MySQL database, the same database that drives the rest of the "directory" style site.

I still need to make direct links from the business detail pages back to the map, like in the OceanCity map, but I'm sure you will all get the idea of what I am doing.

I am pleased with the "nearby places" feature, where for any business you are looking at in detail, it tells you what else is nearby.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

It's nice, although I would recommend rounding down the distances for the 'nearby places'. It's not really necessary to know it down to the picometer (and for you non-metrics out there, that's *very* small).

Apart from that, I really like it. Cool zoom feature as well.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Very well designed and good usability as well. I love the building footprints at the close zoom levels.

Suggestions:
- Seems like there could be some connectionb between the listings and the map (highlight maybe)
- The roll over labels are a bit large for my taste and maybe should be aligned left instead of centered in the box
- May be at a very close zoom level the labels could just be always on.
- The green background color makes me think the areas outside of downtown Bethesda are all wooded and open. Maybe it could be a different, less saturated color that provides visual interest but does not suggest nature.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

what is going to be interesting in doing any interactive mapping in the future (especially for street/cities) is how big impact google maps has and will have -- I suspect that they will set the standard in user interface layout, and that is what users will be (or already are) accustomed to...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->