4 replies to this topic

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

When I lay out a map in Manifold in Windows, it uses the 96 dpi screen resolution from my display adapter configuration. Whenever I export an .AI and open it in Illustrator, it always displays in 72 dpi. Thus everything ends up smaller in Illustrator than what I saw in Manifold. I've been working around those problems, but now I created a shaded relief image which I manipulated in PaintShop Pro and re-imported back into Manifold to georeference it and use as a layer in the map. PaintShop Pro and Manifold both use the 96 dpi resolution of my monitor. When I import the .AI into Illustrator, it scales the image down to 72 dpi and causes scaling artifacts.

Does anyone know if Illustrator CS3 can be configured to use the standard 96 dpi resolution that all the other apps in the system use? I've looked through all the configuration screens I can find and haven't found any way to coax it to use 96 dpi.

Thanks

BCowper

BCowper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

When I lay out a map in Manifold in Windows, it uses the 96 dpi screen resolution from my display adapter configuration. Whenever I export an .AI and open it in Illustrator, it always displays in 72 dpi. Thus everything ends up smaller in Illustrator than what I saw in Manifold. I've been working around those problems, but now I created a shaded relief image which I manipulated in PaintShop Pro and re-imported back into Manifold to georeference it and use as a layer in the map. PaintShop Pro and Manifold both use the 96 dpi resolution of my monitor. When I import the .AI into Illustrator, it scales the image down to 72 dpi and causes scaling artifacts.

Does anyone know if Illustrator CS3 can be configured to use the standard 96 dpi resolution that all the other apps in the system use? I've looked through all the configuration screens I can find and haven't found any way to coax it to use 96 dpi.

Thanks

You can change the resolution to 92 dpi in the dialogue box Export to AI -> Pixel resolution in Manifold.

Current software used: ArcInfo 10.1 (Spatial and 3D Anaylst), Manifold 8.0 Ultimate x64, AutoCAD Civil/Map 3D 2011 x64.

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

You can change the resolution to 92 dpi in the dialogue box Export to AI -> Pixel resolution in Manifold.

Well, yes, but that doesn't really solve my problem. The image still gets scaled, it's just scaled by Manifold rather than by AI.

My problem is that the image I've used in Manifold was designed to be viewed at 96 dpi, because that's what Manifold and the other applications in the system use. Neither of them seem to have the best scaling algorithms, at least not as good as the one in the image editor (Paintshop), and a certain grittiness creeps in. If I have to scale the image, I'd prefer to do it with Paintshop, but that will require me to perform a lot of calculations to figure out exactly how big it should be, and then the georeferencing will be problemati when I import it back into Manifold.

The reason that's inconvenient, or perhaps impossible, is that I start with a surface in Manifold, and export two images: one for the color theme I want draped over the surface, and one for a grayscale shaded relief. I can manipulate the images in Paintshop to get a thematic draped shaded relief, which looks much better than the shaded relief generated by Manifold. I can take that image and import it back into Manifold and adjust its projection to match the surface, and then overlay the GIS data I want to superimpose. Unfortunately, when I export to AI, the image gets scaled and the scaling artifacts creep in.

It would be much better if AI used the system-configured 96 dpi, or if Manifold could use AI's 72 dpi, but neither of those alternatives seem possible.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I suspect you could avoid these issues if you exported images of a layout and manipulated them in PSP and then did NOT bring them back into Manifold. If you are exporting from the layout your images should line up with other layout elements exported to illustrator without any problems. I've described my workflow in previous posts here and using this approach and I have never noticed any of the scaling artifacts you mention.

mg

Holograph

Holograph

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • United States

I suspect you could avoid these issues if you exported images of a layout and manipulated them in PSP and then did NOT bring them back into Manifold. If you are exporting from the layout your images should line up with other layout elements exported to illustrator without any problems. I've described my workflow in previous posts here and using this approach and I have never noticed any of the scaling artifacts you mention.

Thanks, I tried that and it works OK. I guess I have gotten accustomed to using Manifold to preview a draft before exporting to AI for finishing, mostly by cleaning up labels. It's a little different not to be able to see what the result will look like until it's put together in AI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->