Photo

When you're in Australia and you really need to go . . .

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

The National Public Toilet Map

Well, I'm sure this will one will bring on some smart remarks but I can see this being useful . . . except that when you really have to go do you have time to run to a computer and look up the nearest facility? Or are you supposed to plan your trips around facilty availability? It looks like a lot of work to put this one together and it doesn't have the quickest way of navigating to the information you want (considering options like Google Maps mashups - still it's nice to look at something that isn't a mashup). Comes complete with a Toilet Map hotline.

Brought to you by the National Continence Management Strategy (I didn't realize it was such an issue down there).

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice. This would be great in Italy. Most public WC's are to-be-avoided, so one typically uses the facilities in a cafe/bar.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

It would be even better if it had some sort of user rating system.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I can see this being much more useful if it were available as a small folded map that you could print before leaving the house...or as a free little plastic credit-card sized map made available in shops, tourist bureaus, et cetera. I don't know, it's just really difficult for me to imagine anyone digging through an interactive map trying to locate a place to use the restroom. To me it just makes more sense to ask someone where the closest public restroom is or consult a paper/plastic map. If you have a paper map you could comfortably leave the area you researched on the intereactive map and still know where to find a restroom! If the situation became dire, I'd buy a pack of gum or a cup of coffee and use the shops bathroom. Is there a restroom crisis going on down there or what?

I couldn't get the National Continence Management Strategy link to work. Maybe with a little more information I could see the usefulness of it.

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

well as an Aussie I must say its good to know that one can look up where our dunnies are. I find this interesting in as much as I was recently in a local council office and bemoaning the lack of signage around town for such conveniences. The fellas at the desk weren't even aware of where they were. (maybe have to point them to the link)
Its not always easy to find toilets around here and bigger shops in cities have them but then maybe a one at a time job. One can duck into pubs and some restaurants if you're game.
I wouldn't say we're well endowed with them, and once out of the inner city area then forget it, find a tree or something.
I checked out Tasmania and was quite surprised at the level of detail given. Except it aint true for my home town - Maps!! :unsure:
One would defenitely need to plan before leaving unless a mobile phone is used to surf the net.
Seriously though its a good, novel idea, if kept up to date, and yes a little foldout credit card sized map would be very convenient and could actually hold a lot of useful info.
Someone's done a lot of work to put it all together.
regards, Richard

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

The National Public Toilet Map

Well, I'm sure this will one will bring on some smart remarks but I can see this being useful . . . except that when you really have to go do you have time to run to a computer and look up the nearest facility? Or are you supposed to plan your trips around facilty availability? It looks like a lot of work to put this one together and it doesn't have the quickest way of navigating to the information you want (considering options like Google Maps mashups - still it's nice to look at something that isn't a mashup). Comes complete with a Toilet Map hotline.

Brought to you by the National Continence Management Strategy (I didn't realize it was such an issue down there).

Hahaha Rudy where do Canadians find this?? I am starting to be a little concrened that more Canadians know about the locations of Australian "Dunnies" (well put Richard) than Australians do!! When I was at university I had a Canadian lecturer and a Canadian class mate who showed it to our class a couple of years back, they knew about it well before we did.

Erin, I agree that it is hard to imagine anyone digging through an interactive map to find a loo. I guess it depends on your situation. Recently I drove my sister who to Sydney who was pregnant at the time and we had two possible routes, a back road and the highway. We looked at the map and my sister insisted we travel the highway which had more loo stops. She loved it, but I guess hasn't used it since!

I think it has an audience, I just don't think many Australians know about it. A little plastic credit card size map is a good idea, but I think this is the perfect application to sit at one of those touch screen (doesn't have to be touch screen) computer terminals at the Tourist Information centre. Where users can get the maps for areas they want and print them off. Like a self serve termial.

I think alot of work has gone into it.

Richard, its great to see some Australian language in the forum. Haha Dunny........classic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->