• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

kirmet

kirmet

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I am trying to design a map of the jobsites we have collected data for and I am looking for some direction and suggestions.

We are an aerial survey company that collects lidar and digital orthophotos. We have several projects completed in the eastern US, mostly in Appalachia.

I created a map in Arcmap by importing the ESRI's county layers and the polygons from our flight operations areas. The map needs more visual appeal so I've been looking through the forums at different maps to see the different styles and layouts of national maps and came across Tom Patterson's site shadedrelief.com After reading through how he created the image I realized I haven't even scratched the surface of what Arcmap can do.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to create something similar, I don't require the topographical detail or the labeling. I just want to step up and advance my design capabilities, and make a decent location map of all the projects we have completed.

Meanwhile I am going to see what I can do from Tom's site.

Thank You,

Joe

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I am trying to design a map of the jobsites we have collected data for and I am looking for some direction and suggestions.

We are an aerial survey company that collects lidar and digital orthophotos. We have several projects completed in the eastern US, mostly in Appalachia.

I created a map in Arcmap by importing the ESRI's county layers and the polygons from our flight operations areas. The map needs more visual appeal so I've been looking through the forums at different maps to see the different styles and layouts of national maps and came across Tom Patterson's site shadedrelief.com After reading through how he created the image I realized I haven't even scratched the surface of what Arcmap can do.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to create something similar, I don't require the topographical detail or the labeling. I just want to step up and advance my design capabilities, and make a decent location map of all the projects we have completed.

Meanwhile I am going to see what I can do from Tom's site.

Thank You,

Joe

Take a look around ESRI's new Mapping Center website. There's enough there to get you headed in the right direction. It's a great site already and sure to get better over time.

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

If you're looking for inspiration, perhaps the Map Gallery would give a bit more in the way of variety.

I couldn't think of any maps that would be expressly helpful in terms of being analogous to what you described as needing, though I have an idea for one, but it will likely take a few months to go from inspiration to being published on Mapping Center with everything else I've got to do.

Thanks,
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->