• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

Do any of you hand draw maps, or has everybody switched to digitally producing maps? I create thematic maps using software, but prefer the tactile feeling of a pen in my hand. Plus, being a fan of Erwin Raisz maps, I prefer to produce maps with a feel for the landform. I haven't been able to successfully produce my vision using software. But that may be due to my not knowing the correct software package and/or how to use it.

Related question: Is there a market for hand drawn maps?
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Artist Mike Reagan probably does quite well for himself producing hand painted (watercolor) maps.

Have you tried Painter with a fast/RAM loaded machine and a wacom pen/tablet combination?

patdunlavey

patdunlavey

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

I'm sure most would agree that the tools you use to make maps are not the determiner of the quality you get at the end. Rather, it is a combination of cartographic talent; and your talent for mastering whatever technologies you practice your cartography with. That said, if you are talented with pen and ink, pencil, watercolor, etc., you will probably be frustrated with digital tools. As Martin suggests, I have seen a talented artist on a fast computer with Painter and a Wacom tablet produce an amazingly realistic natural media appearance. And there are a lot of benefits to going digital. But for a natural media cartographer, the transition may difficult and perhaps unsuccessful if he fails to master the digital element. Ultimately, however, the quality of the map comes from the cartographer, not his tools.
Pat Dunlavey
www.pdcarto.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Do any of you hand draw maps

Absolutely. If you check 'portfolio' in this website: www.geografix.ca you will see illustrated pictorial maps mostly done by hand. The terrain and some details are done in pen and watercolor on paper. Then I scan it and enhance it in Photoshop. I find myself doing more and more of the fine detailling digitally. But I always do the first layouts in pencil, even if the final product will be totally digital.

http://www.geografix.ca/
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I'm giving Corel Painter a test. I really am blown away by the realistic renderings. After using it for just a short time, I can already understand the benefits of digital with undo and versioning. I also really appreciated the samples from Mike Reagan and Jean-Louis. Very inspiring! Thanks to all who responded.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Although he does not make any maps one of my favorite digital artists is Ryan Church a concept artist for a lot of sci-fi and studio movies. He works with Painter quite a bit and explains in a lot of details how he creates his art and why a digital workflow is so useful for the type of fast paced, production oriented commercial art he creates.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

my favorite digital artists is Ryan Church

Thanks for the link Martin. He is very Geiger-esque.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I could have sworn Jane Crosen was discussed on Carto-talk earlier, but now cannot find a reference...

She's at www.mainemapmaker.com

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Oops, here's a link to the earlier discussion.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

off-topic - Nat, I actually find a google search better than the integrated CartoTalk search. Try this, for instance.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

I'm very late to this thread, but I had to mention that one of our designers, Bob North, has been commercially producing hand-rendered campus maps for most of the past 14-15 years. Samples of his work are found at: http://www.mapformat...us/3Dbyhand.htm We've been having Bob also helping us with some vector work over the past year too...but hand-rendered designs are where his heart/passion are, and he does very good work. I'm like a kid in a candy store too, as I now have the privilege to go in and Photoshop his designs at their very-final stages of production....making them just a bit more ready for display in print, signage and online. What fun!
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

..making them just a bit more ready for display in print, signage and online. What fun!

I'm with you on that, Derek. One feature of illustrated artistic type of maps is that they are a real pain to begin and lay out but the work becomes very pleasurable when you reach the Photshop detailing and tweaking near the end. Whenever there is talk of integrating myself into a production team for cranking out illustrated maps, I always fear that my place in the line would naturally fall to start them because that's where experience counts the most. Luckily I never had to seroiusly face that choice yet.

Ps. Frax, using Google to search cartotalk is really cool. Thanks for showing it.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • United States

Artist Mike Reagan probably does quite well for himself producing hand painted (watercolor) maps.

I've enjoyed Mike's work since first learning about him. For you fans of natural media cartography, I have posted an email interview with him on my blog
DecorativeMaps: Mike Reagan
I found his answers about his work to be illuminating.
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I've enjoyed Mike's work since first learning about him. For you fans of natural media cartography, I have posted an email interview with him on my blog
DecorativeMaps: Mike Reagan
I found his answers about his work to be illuminating.

Nice interview, illuminating indeed. Thanks! :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->