26 replies to this topic

karas

karas

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I'm making my way to San Diego on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone from CartoTalk entered a map in the Map Gallery? I'd love to stop by and check out your work! I don't have one entered myself - maybe the next time I come. I get to go every couple of years or so.

Sara

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

I have the following submission to the map gallery:

http://events.esri.c.../...s&mapID=376

I am assigned to Panel 2073.

I am looking forward to the conference!

Rich

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I'm making my way to San Diego on Saturday. I was wondering if anyone from CartoTalk entered a map in the Map Gallery? I'd love to stop by and check out your work! I don't have one entered myself - maybe the next time I come. I get to go every couple of years or so.

Sara

Sara,

I will be at the conference once again (this makes my 5th year in a row). Take a look for the two Marine Corps GIS Sections (GEOFidelis) - I, along with a lot of my colleagues, will have between 15-20 maps on display.

Our San Diego installations - primarily MCB Camp Pendleton and MCAS Miramar - may also have some maps on display at the San Diego Host Booth.

I had plans on entering two maps, that I had worked on outside of work, to the map gallery this year. Last year, I started work on the maps about a month before the conference, and somehow, pulled them off. This year - the scope of the maps I wanted to create were so large, I discovered one month just wouldn't cut it. Of course, I waited until a month ago to start working on the maps. I'll just have to keep working on them throughout the year, and I'll just have to wait until next year to have them on display.

Anyone else planning on attending?

Don't forget - the ArcGIS Carto Special Interest Group Meeting is from 11:45 to 1:15 on Thursday, in Room 23B. Last year, a couple of us talked up Cartotalk to the masses assembled. I hope some more Cartotalk members will show up. It was a great discussion group. This year, I won't be able to attend, as I've got a meeting conflict.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

Wes Peck

Wes Peck

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • United States

Hello All,

I will have a map up at panel 1149.

-Wes

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Hi all,

I'll be attending of course and I will be in the ESRI Spatial Outlet (bookstore) most of the time, so come by and say hello.

I'll also be judging at the Map Gallery this year. So cookies and other treats are welcome! haha... JK. :)

I just finished the ESRI Map Book Vol. 22 and I think it looks great. Hope those of you that attend will like it. We have several CartoTalk members who made the final cut and are in the Map Book this year... congratulations. Thank you to those who submitted maps this past year. I look forward to looking through the maps from this UC's Map Gallery for next year's Map Book.

Hope to see you all at UC.

karas

karas

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Great! I will make a note and stop by everyone's maps! I'm sure I will also be spending money in the store :D

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I'll also be judging at the Map Gallery this year. So cookies and other treats are welcome! haha... JK. :)

I won't be making it to the UC this year - but one of my posters will (Isochrone). I won't be able to offer you cookies - but I'll buy you a nice bottle of something at NACIS if you choose me for Best Overall! :) (jk...)

Right now I am trying to figure out which category (Best Data Integration, Best Analytical Presentation, etc.) has the fewest entries...
:lol:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I won't be at the conference... but I did spend many hours working on a map with fellow Cartotalk member "claude". It should be at Panel 3046. We (Platts Geospatial) have a booth in the exhibition hall as well. Stop by and check out some of our other maps and products.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • United States

It should be at Panel 3046

I think mine will be just around the corner at 3023 or 3024. My colleague at Metro (N.Brown) is taking it to the UC with his submission and putting them up.

Even though the Map Gallery doesn't have all the greatest maps in the land - it sure does have lots of maps, and many of them are excellent.
__
Have fun!

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

It should be at Panel 3046

Even though the Map Gallery doesn't have all the greatest maps in the land - it sure does have lots of maps, and many of them are excellent.
__
Have fun!

Yeah, I'm going to miss visiting the map gallery this year. It's a rare occasion when you have so many maps in one place on display. It's great fun just to walk around and see what everyone is working on, get new ideas, meet fellow mapping enthusiasts et cetera. Have fun at the conference.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • United States

I saw a thumbnail of your map here.

It looks like a very nice poster! Could you post it to the Cartotalk gallery so I can see a bit more of it?

David T

David T

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I won't be at the conference... but I did spend many hours working on a map with fellow Cartotalk member "claude". It should be at Panel 3046. We (Platts Geospatial) have a booth in the exhibition hall as well. Stop by and check out some of our other maps and products.

Erin, I noticed that map the two of you did. It looked good! You should be proud.

On my way through the gallery as they were tearing down on Thursday afternoon, there was a big 'DO NOT REMOVE THIS MAP' on your poster. (One of my maps also contained this sign). I later found out that the map was taken for consideration for next year's ESRI Map Book. No guarantee that it will make it, but it's made the first cut (congrats!).

I had a good conference myself. The map I produced last year, highlighting fires in San Diego County, was published in this year's Map Book (look on page 13). I have the Camp Pendleton Environmental atlas that is being considering for next year's Map Book. Two Marine Corps maps that my staff produced, won awards today, as well.

Second place in Best Analytical, went to MCAGCC 29 Palms, for a map using ArcSchmatics. This map was produced by Chip Chadbourne, TAIC. Third place in Best Cartography, Large Format, In House, went to GEOFidelis West for the GEOFidelis West Installations map, a map showing the locations of the 8 different installations. This map was produced by the GEOFidelis West team, including Dan Ehreth, Luciana Hsueh, Jacob Glen, Michelle Boivin and myself. I'm very proud that the team did as well as it did.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
West Coast Installations

karas

karas

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

I made it back from San Diego last night - it was a good conference. I checked out everyone's map gallery submissions and was impressed by everyone's work. I got lots of inspiration from several maps in the gallery. I attended several cartography sessions as well as the SIG meeting.

My next trip will probably be in 2009. Hopefully i will have something to submit then!

David T

David T

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I made it back from San Diego last night - it was a good conference. I checked out everyone's map gallery submissions and was impressed by everyone's work. I got lots of inspiration from several maps in the gallery. I attended several cartography sessions as well as the SIG meeting.

There were quite a few good submissions this year. I'm always impressed to see the cartography get better and better.

One of my favorites was this map: http://mapgallery.es...heCaribbean.pdf

From the Broward County Public Schools. The author also created an antique version of this - the usual 'aging' of the paper. It looked really good.

Sara, please share some info on the cartography sessions and SIG meeting. Due to my new job duties, I wasn't able to attend any cartographic sessions. I would like to know what was discussed at the SIG, and whether there were any good, new techniques discussed.
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
West Coast Installations

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

hey david,

for some reason the link to the map isn't working for me. are there permission issues to get to that site?

sadly, the conference wasn't in my cards this year. perhaps next...

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->