cmdrico7812

cmdrico7812

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • United States

Hello all,

I am trying to put a map together that reflects some on-site observations made during a site visit. I want to put these observations in call-out boxes over top of an aerial photo in the same style as the map shown in the attached image. Is there a way to do such a thing in ArcMap? I thought about just exporting the aerial photos to PDFs and then adding the call-out boxes, arrows, and other graphics via Photoshop but I wanted to make them geographically accurate by way of ArcMap. Has anyone had any experience doing this or know how it can be done? Thanks in advance!

Eric

Attached Files

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Yes you can do callouts with Arcmap.

BUT....this is a horrible way to display information on a map.

There is a lot of what Tufte calls chartjunk here and it is very distracting. I would not try to replicate this style.

Why do you want callouts? Best to label things where they are as much as possible, all those other lines are just disctracting ( at best) and confusing/error prone (at worst).

Caledon_Carto

Caledon_Carto

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello all,

I am trying to put a map together that reflects some on-site observations made during a site visit. I want to put these observations in call-out boxes over top of an aerial photo in the same style as the map shown in the attached image. Is there a way to do such a thing in ArcMap? I thought about just exporting the aerial photos to PDFs and then adding the call-out boxes, arrows, and other graphics via Photoshop but I wanted to make them geographically accurate by way of ArcMap. Has anyone had any experience doing this or know how it can be done? Thanks in advance!

Eric

Eric,
the best way forward for this kind of thing in ArcMap is to produce an accurate points feature class and then create a linked annotation feature class.
This has been used fairly successfully with us. It does work well and mixes the accuracy of the point feature class with the flexibility of Annotation.
The only issue fo course is by converting to annotation the feauture is no longer attributed to the database so its best to do it at the finishing stages of any map production. Of course in version 9.2 Representations could help even more.
We do all our mapping in ArcMap and don't bother taking it into Illustrator or Freehand for finishing.
There is also a developer application worth a visit if you do these things regularly - http://www.geotech.com/envirospase.htm
They do a 'Call-out wizzard'.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->