Pyzdra

Pyzdra

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada
Dear List Members,
One of my colleagues is starting a project where a group of 20/30 participants will be tracking their daily travel with GPS units. The gathered data will be used to calculate their exposure to fast food outlets (we have locational data about that). Do you have any recommendations about GPS equipment and procedures that will be useful for this? We are new to GPS use and are wondering which unit models can record reliable locational data without intervention from its carriers, particularly in urban settings, and how that data can be easily integrated with other vector data files such as road networks, locations of resources etc.
Thanks.
P

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

What's the usage model going to be? Are you wanting handhelds? In-car systems? Will they need a moving map display? Or do you just need something to record position?

You can get data loggers with the SiRF III chipset for under US $100 or so. You can even buy them on Amazon, such as the GlobalSat logger (though I've not used that particular model). This is about as simple an interface as you can get: push a button to start logging, then download the log points when you're done.

Pyzdra

Pyzdra

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Canada
Hi Sky Scgemer,
Thanks for your advice. I do not know the usage model, but what is needed here is a hand-held unit that does the logging automatically while the carrying it person goes about his/her daily activitites while walking. I will take a look at the models you suggest.
P

What's the usage model going to be? Are you wanting handhelds? In-car systems? Will they need a moving map display? Or do you just need something to record position?

You can get data loggers with the SiRF III chipset for under US $100 or so. You can even buy them on Amazon, such as the GlobalSat logger (though I've not used that particular model). This is about as simple an interface as you can get: push a button to start logging, then download the log points when you're done.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools