- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi there,

I just got an update to the new Canvas demo that has GIS input/output. Evidentally Canvas is now an ESRI Partner, making me wonder about the future of vector illustration and GIS. I don't know if it's any good or not.

I tried the inital release and it was a bit clunky. Kind of like MapPublisher 3.

Have any of you tried Canvas with or without the GIS functionality?
__
Matthew

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I'd be interested in hearing more about this. But I don't know very much of canvas. (how is canvas vs illustrator?)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

I just got an update to the new Canvas demo that has GIS input/output. Evidentally Canvas is now an ESRI Partner, making me wonder about the future of vector illustration and GIS.

Just because an illustration program can be spatialy aware, which Canvas has been for awhile now, I do not think that means they are an ESRI Partner or the world of GIS is about to implode, but maybe you didn't mean to sound so bleak. anywho,

I have used the demo several time, mostly to deal with DOQs and other imagery. It is a solid illustration package much like Illy or Freehand with CAD sprinkled in. It is pretty straight forward to set up a georeferenced document. I am just too used to my setup now that any change is hard to do.
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I wasn't trying to imply that anything was going to implode. I just find it interesting that there is a vector illustration/raster editing software that has become an ESRI Business Partner.

http://www.deneba.co...press-esri.html

Business Partners of ESRI get to enjoy the benefits of association to a company that has a near monopoly on GIS software that non-business partners do not get. I am sure that GRASS and Manifold will probably increase their installations as ESRI gets even more expensive, but ESRI is certainly leading the pack.

With regard to Canvas, I think it was a pretty strategic move to get into bed with ESRI as neither Illustrator or Freehand has made that move, although Adobe's purchase of Macromedia sure is interesting...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->