• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

hello everyone,

here is one of my latest maps for you to review. i included many of your suggestions from my "Oil Spill Scenario" map that i posted a while back. the primary purpose of this map is for stakeholders within the copper river to be able to see all of the potential threats, and to determine key areas where collaborative work can be done. due to the huge size of the plotter file, i have created a slightly smaller pdf so you can view it rather effortlessly from our ftp site. however, it rasterized some of my vector layers (such as the rivers), so please excuse the blocky appearance of some of the features.

thanks in advance for all comments... every one (whether simply complimentary or critical) helps me become a better cartographer (my lifelong pursuit).

ftp.ecotrust.org/pub/outgoing/odd_months/Copper/RapAssess547.pdf

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Analisa - the linky doesn't work for me...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Job well done!

It looks like you removed the spill travel model - curious why.

So it looks like the response time is lagging the spill travel time quite a bit, but considering the landscape, that may be acceptable. What do you think?

Thanks for posting the final version.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

are you still having a hard time opening the map, Frax? is anyone else suffering from the same thing? I tried the link and it works fine on my machine, so i don't know what may be the problem.

as for mapmedia's question about why i removed the "spill travel model" from the final map, i did this because i didn't want the symbology of the oil spill dominating the entire map. instead, i wanted it to be conveyed amongst the many other pressing issues. however, i included the inset map to make sure that map readers were informed of how much the response time lags behind the actual oil spill in the hopes that they could judge how serious of a threat it may be.

thank you for your feedback!

and if anyone else is struggling to open the map please let me know! (i seem to suffer from not knowing the best ways to share my maps via the web).

analisa
Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

ftp is inherently (or at least typically) slow, and your PDF is a 7+ mb file. i bet frax is just timing out. it took my university T1 connection over a minute to download. if you could get it in an HTTP accessible directory, it would probably transfer a lot faster.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Visually it's rather attractive, but I'm just wondering what the scale of the map is. In the PDF, the map image itself is about 6 x 8 inches. Printed at that size, the text in the legend box is very hard to read (inkjet, but I doubt laser would be enough of an improvement), as are the smaller labels, and some of the symbols are hard to make out.

Since there's a lot so close to eachother, you may want to consider replacing the "Impassable Culvert" symbols with a simpler, smaller, dot.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • No Country Selected

I'm just wondering what the scale of the map is. In the PDF, the map image itself is about 6 x 8 inches. Printed at that size, the text in the legend box is very hard to read (inkjet, but I doubt laser would be enough of an improvement), as are the smaller labels, and some of the symbols are hard to make out.

Since there's a lot so close to eachother, you may want to consider replacing the "Impassable Culvert" symbols with a simpler, smaller, dot.

great comments. the scale of the final map will vary, but this version is meant to be a poster (36x48 inches). the pdf page size is small because that's the only way that i can seem to get my file size down to a reasonable level when exporting from ArcMap. which, hints to how i made it... completely in ArcMap. which is always a deterrent when trying to use their blasted symbol libraries. i have to embed them in order for them to carry over to other people's machines who may not have esri's wonderful font library (i'm not bitter due to a multitude of frustrating instances of this nature...no, no...not me). anyway, i completely agree with you about the statement "...close to eachother, you may want to consider replacing the "Impassable Culvert" symbols with a simpler, smaller, dot", but my client wanted me to leave it as so... in order to convey just how bad it is. and the client is always right, right? well, in this case we were per usual running out of time, and so i didn't argue the point (pun intended).

~a~
Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

great comments. the scale of the final map will vary, but this version is meant to be a poster (36x48 inches). the pdf page size is small because that's the only way that i can seem to get my file size down to a reasonable level when exporting from ArcMap. which, hints to how i made it... completely in ArcMap. which is always a deterrent when trying to use their blasted symbol libraries. i have to embed them in order for them to carry over to other people's machines who may not have esri's wonderful font library (i'm not bitter due to a multitude of frustrating instances of this nature...no, no...not me). anyway, i completely agree with you about the statement "...close to eachother, you may want to consider replacing the "Impassable Culvert" symbols with a simpler, smaller, dot", but my client wanted me to leave it as so... in order to convey just how bad it is. and the client is always right, right? well, in this case we were per usual running out of time, and so i didn't argue the point (pun intended).

~a~

If you have access to a copy of Illustrator. You can export to an AI file and then convert all of the fonts to outlines within Illustrator. This will save you from having to embed the fonts and in my experience get you better results than embeding the fonts or converting marker symbols to polygons from ArcMap.

Also if you have access to Adobe Acrobat. The PDF Optimizer (Advanced>>PDF Optimizer) does an excellent job making a PDF that has a small file size.

Rich

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

In that case, never mind my comments re. size :)

And if the client really wants that symbol, I guess there's no alternative but to use it. Do they also overlap on the full-size version? If so, you may want to slightly shuffle them around.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Analisa,

Good looking map,

Here are a few of my comments,

Mentasta Lake overlaps a road (could be move to prevent overlap). There are few other area where text should be moved as to not overlap with 'thick' line work.

I find that the All terrain vehicle symbol's Pinky color stand out a bit too much.

There are NO location coordinates anywhere?

You show Glacier fields. Maybe if you have the polygons for those features you could show a 'glacier' overlay.

I would consider another color for your inset map boundaries (the blue you use is also used for hydro features).

A scale bar for your inset maps.

What are your base map sources. I think this should be noted.

Regards,
Chart

gvlisnas

gvlisnas

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

I like this map very much. Well done.

My 2 cents are that the boundaries of the concern areas overlap the roads and pipelnes. Should you try to send them behind the roads and pipelines?
And furthermore the inset maps -in my humble opinion- are a lot. I know there isn't enough space to share but i would try to combine the general map of Alaska with the one that points out the location of the inset map.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • No Country Selected

Analisa,

Good looking map,

Here are a few of my comments,

Mentasta Lake overlaps a road (could be move to prevent overlap). There are few other area where text should be moved as to not overlap with 'thick' line work.

I find that the All terrain vehicle symbol's Pinky color stand out a bit too much.

There are NO location coordinates anywhere?

You show Glacier fields. Maybe if you have the polygons for those features you could show a 'glacier' overlay.

I would consider another color for your inset map boundaries (the blue you use is also used for hydro features).

A scale bar for your inset maps.

What are your base map sources. I think this should be noted.

PS.
To all others 'cartographers' on this forum. I personally think that the Map Gallery Forum is the most important one on Cartotalk. It helps every MapMaker improve the quality of their maps. It should be considered a way to 'Certify' that your map is of ' Professional Quality' when it is completed and delivered to your client. So the more comments the better.

Regards,

thank you... i can't believe after looking over all of the annotation, i still missed some of them DOH!... so frustrating. but yet another example of how important it is to have a fresh set of cartographers eyes look over a map before you send it out. thanks again for the great feedback and awesome tricks of the trade (Rich). VIVA EL CARTOTALK!
Analisa Fenix
Ecotrust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->