3 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Am working on a project where client has Mac and sends me their fonts to use. Its is a long-term collaboration, so I return to them EPS files that they use, etc.
After installing their font (FranklinGothic TTF) AI throws the 'font substitute' error. In the font find/replace tool in AI, the font is listed, but as such: <FranklinGothic-demi>*

Unfortunately, I can't replace it with my ITC-Franklin OpenFace font, as the font names are different.

Any ideas on solving this? I am thinking that the Mac-PC font conversion wasn't done correctly, as PCs don't recognize fontnames with "-" in them.

Thanks!

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Not sure I can help ... but here is a try anyway.

Have you tried that provided .ttf font in another application. e.g. can you create text with that new font in a word document.
If yes then I would assume that the .ttf file is ok on Windows and maybe Illustrator is having problems defining it on the font initialization (when you start Illy).

If it is a matter of renaming the font then there a few tools out there to do that (e.g. FontNamer, FontCreator ...).
Chart

byzantium

byzantium

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:History, art, typography, design, geography, wilderness, sustainability, and the wisdom of the ancients.
  • United States

Try using a utility like TransType Pro to come up with a naming convention of this font which works on both of your environments? Then both of you install this converged font and only refer to it in this project. I assume you both have the license for the font.

bb

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the info.

Am cutting my teeth on font file nuances. It turns out the fonts were postscript versions, with postscript name (i.e. franklingothic-demibold) and not font fullname (Franklingothic demibold). So it was just a matter of converting mac to pc using fontname convention. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->