No replies to this topic

unqiuemr2

unqiuemr2

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello,

I am attempting to aggregate census data at available at the census tract level to the neighbourhood level. One problem that I encountered was that the boundaries of the two polygon files did not match up.

I have attempted to use the Spatial Join tool in ArcMap v9.2 using all the match option parameters such as Intersect, Contains and Is Within. The most successful match option was Intersect but I suspect the accuracy of the aggregated neighbourhood level data is questionable.

The intersect method tended to over exaggerate population counts in each of the neighbourhoods.

My question is, is there a method to aggregate the data in a way so that the aggregated numbers for each neighbourhood would be a sum of the proportion of area each census tract lies within a particular neighbourhood.

ie. 50% in total area of a particular Census Tract is within a certain neighbourhood so when aggregating, the total population of that particular census tract is multiplied by 0.5 and summed using the same method with all intersecting census tracts within a specific neighbourhood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->