• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

rwild

rwild

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada
Here's a map I did for the World Masters Games (1/2) Marathon.
Masters Marathon Map
Would appreciate easy (non-Flash) suggestions for allowing zooming of thumbnail photos. Direct email responses in addition to postings here would be great. Thanks.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

what are you trying to communicate with this map/diagram? What is the purpose?

My wife is from Edmonton, and her mom lives there, I have to show the map to them!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Some comments:
- The composition looks a bit cluttered. I think just leaving off the numbers in the photos would improve a lot already.
- It looks as though you took a scanned roadmap and drew your information on top of that. While that's not a major problem in itself (provided you check for copyright infringement issues), it does mean you're stuck with the peculiarities of the scanned map. In this case, it seems as if you had to blow it up too much. This is not improving readability, especially not of the labels.
- Either use only the labels that were on the original map or the ones you placed yourself, but not a mixture (and certainly don't mix the two in one text label, like 119th Str NW)
- Is there a sort of standard style for the Masters games, if so, you'll want to try and follow that with this map (if it's part of the official documentation of course).

Just my 2 cents
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

rwild

rwild

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Canada
Thanks for the feedback guys.
MapComparison shows a side-by-side comparison of the map (pdf format) that was provided by the committee, and my enhanced one.
Basically I'm trying to give the 1/2 marathon (21+ km.) runners some information about the course they will be following (ie when they are running on busy streets, through quiet neighbourhoods, or next to open fields, etc...). The numbers on the photos also serve as approximate km indicators. I placed the numbers on parts of the photos that were open patches of pavement, grass, or sky, etc. to avoid over-lapping any pertinent details.
The satellite image was taken from Google Maps (which only had that resolution available at the time). I would actually "soften" any image in this manner in any case, to avoid giving unnecessary detail. By now you've probably guessed that I'm most interested in the cARTography of map-making.
Ron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->