ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I've created a location grid (see example) and I would like to know if there is a way to cut the grid lines where-ever they intersect the land mass in ArcGIS 9.2 (Arcview seat)....without losing any part of the grid. I want to be able to control the grids appearance seperatley over land and water. I normally do this by manually cutting the lines with the scissor tool in Illustrator; but I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to. Any tips?

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I've created a location grid (see example) and I would like to know if there is a way to cut the grid lines where-ever they intersect the land mass in ArcGIS 9.2 (Arcview seat)....without losing any part of the grid. I want to be able to control the grids appearance seperatley over land and water. I normally do this by manually cutting the lines with the scissor tool in Illustrator; but I'd prefer not to do that if I don't have to. Any tips?

the first thing that comes to mind is to set snapping to both layers, zoom in and use the split tool. tedious, yes. more tedious than in AI? probably not. Reuseable for other maps/exports, yup. Or check the ianko gt tools. I don't have them loaded on the this 9.2 build yet, but he might have something like that. or make the land one poly, make two copies of the grid, and then do two clips, one saving and one disgarding.... wait, that might only work on another polygon... not sure...

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I dug-up a couple of scripts that might work for you.

The first one is a Raster Clipper and purports to allow you to clip a grid with an input shapefile. I haven't used it - but it looked promising.

The other one is Hawth's Analysis Tools. It can clip a raster - and has been invaluable for me in other projects - so I thought it was worth mentioning.

Let us know if you figured something out.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

There is a Split tool on the Editor toolbar.

It's a manual process, and is the only way to do this at the ArcView licensing level.

At the ArcInfo licensing level, you could use the Polygon to Line tool on your states, then the output of that with your grid lines as inputs to the Feature to Line tool will produce what I think you're asking for automatically. It's not obvious that Feature to Line does this, but it does and is quite handy once you know you can.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Erin, any reason not to treat your grid as polys? that way you can just union and select depending on the attributes. I can think up one reason not do it - if you have attributes for the grid lines (coordinates for instance).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Alternatively...

If you have FME, this is a fairly simple trick, using transformers that are available in the FME Base version. No manual work required and the process can be saved and reused.

:rolleyes:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Erin, any reason not to treat your grid as polys? that way you can just union and select depending on the attributes. I can think up one reason not do it - if you have attributes for the grid lines (coordinates for instance).

That is what I would do.

The attributes could easily be preserved by transforming a duplicate version and then passing the attribute back after the split. Or if only needed for labelling, use the original for labelling and the split one for display.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

That is what I would do.

The attributes could easily be preserved by transforming a duplicate version and then passing the attribute back after the split. Or if only needed for labelling, use the original for labelling and the split one for display.

Hey all,
Thanks for the great replies and links! Actually I do have a copy of the grid as polygons. I used it to join the grid to the ground features. So the "union select" option should work me... and at this point losing the attributes doesnt matter because I've already built my tables and can bring in a fresh copy of the polygon layer for labeling. Perfect. Let me give it shot and see what happens. Thanks again everyone. Oh, any thoughts on doing this with the Pathfinder palette in Illustrator? might work as well.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Oh, any thoughts on doing this with the Pathfinder palette in Illustrator? might work as well.

Yes probably, but it sounded like you needed an Arc solution in your original post.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • United States

Oh, any thoughts on doing this with the Pathfinder palette in Illustrator? might work as well.

Yes probably, but it sounded like you needed an Arc solution in your original post.

I use Arc to create and attribute the grid, so I thought I could finish all of the "prep" work in one swoop before it ever touches Illustrator. Just tryin to speed things up :) Thanks.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

On pathfinders - those are less useful if you are working with linework (unfilled, but stroked, paths) - so you would have to go the polygon route there as well. But you would have an additional problem - you wouldn't be able to select on an attribute (as in after a unio operation), so I am not sure how one would do that...

Actually, the absolute easiest way to do this would be to just use a clipping mask in Illy... Or actually two - you would need two copies of the grid in Illy, one where you have the continents as a clipping mask, and one where you would have a sea clipping mask.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->