• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Presented for your viewing pleasure, a cartogram created using Adrian Herzog's Mapresso applet of Heavy Metal around the world. I made this map as a component of my final project for a cartography class I'm taking. This is only a draft, but I thought others might enjoy looking at it. Areas are proportional to # of metal bands per country, as are the colors. (In the next iteration, the choropleth scheme will correspond to bands per capita rather than absolute count.)
Posted Image

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Great idea :lol: Throw in some umlauts and you're all done ;)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

ROCK ON! :lol:

(i'm banging my head and tearing up my electric as i type this...)
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I'm impressed that you actually took the time to process all of the information at the metal-archives. You should get a golden Horned-Hand award or something. Which country has the most metal bands per capita? Japan? Norway? Germany? Which country is the Kingdom of Metal?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm impressed that you actually took the time to process all of the information at the metal-archives. You should get a golden Horned-Hand award or something. Which country has the most metal bands per capita? Japan? Norway? Germany? Which country is the Kingdom of Metal?

Funny enough, it appears (it's always difficult to tell with this kind of maps) there's a lot of heavy metal bands in The Netherlands (or, as I should say from now on: Thë Nëthërländs), so we might just be the per-capita leaders :lol:

I always said we are the country that goes to 11 ;)

Oh, and we're also a proper kingdom!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

For your next assignment, you should map the ratio of heavy metal bands to reggae artists or something!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

The way mapresso handles Alaska seems a bit odd to me?

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Wow! I'm amazed at the response! I never expected such enthusiasm... but then I should have known that metal would find a home among the wonderful world of cartographers...

Ah, all good guesses, but the top spot goes to mighty FINLAND!

Funny enough, it appears (it's always difficult to tell with this kind of maps) there's a lot of heavy metal bands in The Netherlands (or, as I should say from now on: Thë Nëthërländs), so we might just be the per-capita leaders :lol:

I always said we are the country that goes to 11 ;)

Oh, and we're also a proper kingdom!

Haha, alas, the honor goes to Finland for top spot... but the Netherlands are indeed a place "wrought" with metal =)

Given the level of interest, I'll continue posting my results as they come... I've already made choropleths of bands per capita, as well as various socioeconomic indicators that might help explain the distribution (GDP per capita, CD sales per country--though this data was impossible to find anything decent for, life expectancy, literacy, etc...)

Any ideas/advice (especially relating to cartograms and similar mapping techniques) would be gladly welcomed!

Oh, and about Alaska, I've been trying to figure out how to fix that... I think I'm going to go back to metal-archives and try to count the number of bands in alaska, then separate Alaska from the US (as if it were a separate country), then give alaska its proper attribute value, and subtract that from the existing US total... But the whole final thing is due Friday and I've barely enough time to get the thing into basic shape... so this may have to wait until this summer.

Now, shameless plug...
For those of you who are, in fact, metal inclined... I urge you to check out my radio show, Melting Point Radio. Our past shows are all online as a podcast, along with the playlists-->http://meltingpointradio.blogspot.com/ (I'll also be posting all the maps on that blog). Our final (probably) show of the semester is this thursday, 5/10 at 9-10pm EST. Listen online at http://wrmc.middlebury.edu/listen or just subscribe to the podcast (see the blog)...

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Oh, and about Alaska, I've been trying to figure out how to fix that... I think I'm going to go back to metal-archives and try to count the number of bands in alaska, then separate Alaska from the US (as if it were a separate country), then give alaska its proper attribute value, and subtract that from the existing US total...

That should fix it I guess. But it requires treating that state differently then every other country. For fixing it visually, it works.

I have not played around with the mapresso tool very much, I just find it odd that it gives a disproportionate amount of weight to Alaska, maybe because there is more room around it. It would be nice if it could grow the continental US in a disproportionate way than Alaska and Hawaii.

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Oh, and about Alaska, I've been trying to figure out how to fix that... I think I'm going to go back to metal-archives and try to count the number of bands in alaska, then separate Alaska from the US (as if it were a separate country), then give alaska its proper attribute value, and subtract that from the existing US total...

That should fix it I guess. But it requires treating that state differently then every other country. For fixing it visually, it works.

I have not played around with the mapresso tool very much, I just find it odd that it gives a disproportionate amount of weight to Alaska, maybe because there is more room around it. It would be nice if it could grow the continental US in a disproportionate way than Alaska and Hawaii.

Yeah, it is odd. The continental US doesn't change much with each iteration, but Alaska just keeps growing... and growing... I'm hoping to get better results from the Cartogram Creator macro/script for ArcMap (which is running right now).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->