5 replies to this topic

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

I have 50 maps 36"x71" that I need sealed with 5mil lamination. Any cheap laminating places out there. I had one shop here in NY quote this job 4 months ago for $8 per map, now they want $26. I caled three other places and they want anywhere from $120 to $270 per map. I can buy a 36" laminating machine and the film for $1700, but really don't want to do that for one job.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I have 50 maps 36"x71" that I need sealed with 5mil lamination. Any cheap laminating places out there. I had one shop here in NY quote this job 4 months ago for $8 per map, now they want $26. I caled three other places and they want anywhere from $120 to $270 per map. I can buy a 36" laminating machine and the film for $1700, but really don't want to do that for one job.

Too bad that $8.00 quote didn't stick. $26.00 seems to be a fairly competitive price for a big map like that, especially if you can pick up the maps locally and avoid shipping charges. That's about what we pay here in CO. Keep us posted if you find a better price.

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I occasionally use a shop in northern NJ for large-format printing and lamination. Some sample price quotes for 6mil lamination, single pieces:

48"x72" $50 lamination (with $120 for printing)
48"x72" $90 lamination including shipping
24"x36" $30 lamination including shipping

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Who is the NY contact?

We've been wanting laminate Margaret Pearce's (journeycake.com) Voyageurs Map for classroom use but haven't found anyone who will do it for under $100. I'd be happy to pay for shipping above the $26. I don't understand why one of those shipping quotes was so high - it can be rolled in a tube and shipped for under $10?

It would be cool to add laminating services along with the printer resources, anything over 24 inches wide is hard to find outside of major metro areas.

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

-