burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

I can't seem to save the map file I exported to AI from ArcMap in Illustrator. It cantains a large tiff file that makes the AI file about 600 meg. I want to edit all the text and produce the final map in Illustrator. Is this a bug that has been fixed? I am using CS2 12.0.0.

Any thoughts or work arounds?

Bruce

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I've never heard of that problem. So the export is 600Mb and you can open it and edit it but it crashes when it saves? Are you using any transparency?

I would try exporting the raster from Arc as a separate tif then "place" it in Ai.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I have never had any problems exporting to an AI file with large rasters in it. Like Matthew said, try exporting the raster alone, then placing it into into AI. Then recombine with your vector layers (if you have any). It should line up as long as the spatial extent is the same.

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Canada

I think this is an Illustrator problem. I did some research and other people are having the same issue. Adobe suggested a few things like deleting the Transparency Flattener Preset file but that dittent work. I am using transparencies. They also suggested aving out to PDF but this hardly seems like a work around. Still looking.

Bruce

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I actually never export raster map files from ArcMap - I just export individual layers to an image format (such as bmp or tiff), and edit things further in Photoshop - then align it and put it together in Illy. Would this be a solution for you?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Canada

I think that will work even though that is a lot of headaches. Now my problems are lines across the image when I do an export. I have tried EPS and PDF and I get the same results. I am going to try and export this new file to TIF. The main reason I exported to PDF is thta that format allowed for a conversion to CMYK (that is what I wanted). I attached some screen shots.

Attached Files

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Now my problems are lines across the image when I do an export.

I"m not sure if you talking exporting out of Arc still with this comment, or from AI to PDF, but I noticed that you mentioned you are using transparency. Any export from Arc to Ai will flatten all layers under the one with transparency, make it a raster, and band that raster into multiple pieces. It does look similar to the shots you provided. Removing the trans effect will solve. I've also seen similar artifacts exporting a raster (no vectors) to AI and then PDFing in AI after adding some linework. Haven't run into this one enough to suggest a workaround, just confirming that i've seen similar effects with that workflow. good luck.

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Canada

The PDF falls into place (no scaling required) but has these nasty selectable lines. The tiffs look alot better so I am going to try and convert. If the file size is the same, should it fall into place as well or will I still need to scale the image. Maybe I should try Geographic Imager.

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

i just wrote a long reply that got erased (how i loathe that), so i'm going to have to make this one very short and sweet.

first, what version of arcgis are you using? if it's 8x than the file size will most likely be related to your page size (in arcmap) as well as the raster data that you were using. when i was using 8x i had to make all of my maps small (8x11 or 11x17) in arcmap and then scale them in illustrator in order to get the output to be a manageable size. TOTALLY Frustrating <_< , but the only solution that esri could give me (other than buying a super computer amount of memory and ram) :huh: .

also, if you can turn the Output Image Quality down one notch from Best when exporting. this will GREATLY decrease the file size without losing too much quality (this really depends on what your output needs are however).

as for the rasterization of your layers (and the subsequent banding) here's a complete list from arcgis desktop help of what makes this happen:

"Rasterization
Certain symbols cause maps to be rasterized when output: transparency, BMP picture fill symbols, BMP picture marker symbols, BMP picture line symbols, and any derivative thereof.*

"The effect of rasterization is that all layers below the data layer that contains symbology listed above will be converted to a flat raster image in the output file. All layers above will not be affected.

To avoid rasterization, BMP picture symbols should be replaced with vector-only EMF picture fill symbols or with font character-based symbols, or the Vectorize Layers with Bitmap Markers/Fills option should be used. This will cause these symbols to be maintained as editable vectors in output. As transparency is inherently a raster symbol, there is no viable way of avoiding rasterization other than avoiding transparent symbology altogether.

*Using the Vectorize Layers with Bitmap Markers/Fills option will prevent BMP picture fill and BMP picture marker symbols from causing rasterization."

Try downloading this sample tool which will let you scan the map for these appearances, and help you diagnose "large output" symptoms.

http://edn.esri.com/...mplexOutput.htm

i usually just export my transparency and raster layers as an ai file (in 9x, in 8x i exported as eps or tif) and my vector layers as .ai. then as all mentioned, just overlay them in illustrator.

finally, i'm curious if the banding is visible on-screen only, or if it comes out when you print the map. if you see the bands when you print the document this article should help:

http://support.esri....l...how&d=27186

so much for short and sweet! anyway, i hope this helps...

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Canada

Thanks Analisa

I was using transparencies and writing to AI. But even if I don't have any transparencies, I get the same problem. I'm also having a hard time getting the image to matchthe vector data. What happens if the data is in a different datum and projection? Some layers are in NAD83 and the Image is in WGS84. These ellipsoids are the same though and very slight differences. These issues I think I can handle. Still my main problem is saving the file after edits are made. Is there a way to just link the image in Illustrator without directly saving the file inside the AI file, like a pointer? Surely, Illustrator can handle 500 mg files? Thats pretty disappointing if it doesn't. I'm using ArcMAp 9.2 and Illustrator CS2.

Thanks
Bruce

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Bruce,

I said this before - project your raster data to the projection of your view, and have it as a separate file, and don't include that in the export from ArcMap. Then you just place and link it in illy - the trick there is to get it to match up properly.

One thing that I have done a lot of times in the past, and still do to some extent, is massive overkill in resolution. Do a quick calculation and see how many pixels you really need, depending on your resolution, and resample the image to that target pixel size. In the past I have had rasters going up to thousands of dpi, totally unnecessarily. Keep in mind that for posters, the resolution for a background image (like shaded relief or topography) don't necessarily need to be 300 dpi, especially if it is reasonably smooth and toned down in color. (they will be viewed from a distance!)

For a fold out map, for hiking etc, then you may need high resolution all over though.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

I start to think that what Adobe issued is a piece of crap. I have similar problem.

A file with lot of semi-transparent lines + image background. Without background it rips to pdf OK, when I put it, it crahes. When I put the jpeg of the cat instead of my relief jpeg it rips OK.

Ehh, Adobe, Adobe...

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Bruce,

Export imagery/shading background separately as a TIF. Set resolution to 288dpi.
Export vectors as illustrator file.

Open in illustrator the vector file. Find the bounding rectangle which is the same size as your image backgound and align the imported image to this using illustrator's excellent align tools. Before you load the image open it with your image editor (photoshop) and make sure the resolution and size is correct, sometimes images export at 72dpi and need to be modified. You can set the image to be linked when you place it, there is a checkbox for this. I've noticed with CS2 that sometimes with very large images it will not save properly if the image is linked but does so when the image is embedded. Maybe this will be fixed in CS3.

Using this method to align you background is near-foolproof as long as you data is correctly aligned in arcmap. This means getting your projection correct before export.

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Canada

I went to 200 DPI and it was fine. Lining it up was alot easier as well but not what I would call perfect. That might be something I need to practice at. The last thing I'm really trying to grasp is text. How difficult is it to do arcing text and add spaces? I'm anticipating this should be an easy thing to do.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Lining it up was alot easier as well but not what I would call perfect.

Turning on Smart Guides helps to snap things into place. With regard to text - there are some potential difficulties you can bump into when using text exported from ArcGIS, especially ESRI text on a curved path. First off it's imported as "legacy text" and secondarily the baseline that holds letters together into words often breaks, resulting in each letter on an isolated baseline. One fix (thanks Martin) is to select all the isolated letters in a word, delete them (they stay on a clipboard), then create a text insertion point and 'paste.'

It's refreshingly easy to manipulate text in Illustrator with the Type Tools (type-on-a-path tool, etc.) and the Character Palette has most all the letterspacing controls you'll want.
Attached File  Picture_52.png   84.37KB   79 downloads.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->