rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Hello All -

I have a question about how to do something in ArcView 3.1. I used to know this but it has been years since I last used ArcView 3.1 regularly and currently it is the only GIS tool I have at my disposal (that will change soon).

I am looking to export a number of polygons from ArcView to Illustrator as an eps. I fill the polygons and export the file from ArcView. When I open the file in Illustrator many of the polygons come in as vertical slices (dicing I believe this is called). Exporting the polygons without a fill results in broken lines that must be joined to create polygons. I've looked on the ESRI site for help or a script but to no avail. Sadly it appears that the world has moved on to newer and better versions. Can anyone help me out?

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

ArcView (3,3) is still part of my tool box. I still have a few uses for it.

You are correct the results of .eps or .ai exports give unsatisfactory results. Unless someone has found a workaround (or script) I don't think there is a solution.

Only suggestion I have is to port your shape files in a trial version of a GIS package (e.g. ArcGis) that will do a better job (not necessarily a good one). You can also look up a MapPublisher trial (with MP the results are excellent).

Regards,
Chart

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Do you have any PDF programs that work as a printer driver?

We have found CutePDF to be very useful. It appears on your system as another printer, and writes to a file. The Pro version writes directly to PDF, and it looks like the free version writes to PostScript. You might already have a similar program from Adobe.

I don't recall the export limitations of ArcView3.1. If the dicing problem still occurs when printing to PDF, you can try a free GIS program like TatukGIS Viewer to set up your map.

-Danielle

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Also - make sure you do not have any transparency set to the fill. There may also be a way to increase the # of vertices Arcview exports to EPS. You can adjust this for ArcGis using regedit.
Are you using export as NewEPS?

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

I have tried exporting to New EPS with all permutations of ArcView Enhanced, Native OS etc selected. No luck. Editing with Regedit is beyond me. I also downloaded CutePDF (a nice freebie by the way) and printed to the PDF writer again without any luck. Thanks for the adivce anyway. I'll have to take this home and try exporting using Manifold (it's pretty sad when you're home office is better equipped than your work office!).

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

can't you merge the polygons in Illy using the pathfinder tool? You could also try generalizing the polygons - since the banding is caused by too high node count (at least that is the case for ArcGIS)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Exporting the polygons without a fill results in broken lines that must be joined to create polygons.

You can do it this way then use Rick Johnson's concatenate plug-in for Illustrator. Another trick would be to just export one polygon at a time to reduce the number of verticies - or you could export a raster and use LiveTrace in Illustrator.

It's been so long - I forgot if there was some other solution. The only thing I remember is that the Ai export never worked (unless you used Ai5).

Good luck and let us know if you find the workaround.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

can't you merge the polygons in Illy using the pathfinder tool? You could also try generalizing the polygons - since the banding is caused by too high node count (at least that is the case for ArcGIS)

Well, you could . . . if you don't mind waiting. Anything I try to do with the Illy file takes forever.

Can you actually generalize / simplify in ArcView 3.x?

Geographic Techniques

Geographic Techniques

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • United States

Wow, it's been awhile since I've had to export EPS or AI stuff out of the earlier ArcView! Av3 is fairly robust, and I still use it for occasional geoprocessing tasks. AI export with AV 3.x has always been tricky, if not a pain. Better results usually with EPS, but apparently not in your case.

For generalizations, as well as other geoprocessing tools, I've relied on Analysis Tools by SWEGIS. That package is a bit pricey (although it's been some time and many revisions later). You might find other tools on ESRI's scripts page that will do the trick:

ESRI AV3.x Generalization

Good luck!
Douglas Norgord, Geographic Techniques
www.geotechmap.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I loved ArcView 3.x for display purposes - I would do my processing in ArcInfo workstation and use ArcView to display and view the results, much faster than ArcMap. But ArcView has not been very stable for me lately, something that I haven't bothered to investigate further, and now I use ArcMap 9.2 for viewing instead (some processing still in workstation!). I love the new "pause drawing" in ArcMap, makes it much easier to assemble a map with huge datasets (also from a remote SDE).
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Okay . . . so this is what I did to solve the problem:

1. Downloaded a script to explode multipart polygons into seperate shapes (http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=11694 - that in itself solved much of the problem).
2. Downloaded a generalize extension (http://arcscripts.es....asp?dbid=10703) and generalized appropriately (a little experimentation required).
3. Exported to AI as EPS.

The export was not quite perfect - a few larger polygons were still coming in pieces but the outline was fairly intact and required only a couple of joins.

Thanks everyone for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->