• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,835 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

cartotalk will certainly never reach the 1 million mark, i agree :) right now cartotalk is at 938, so imagine a 5-fold increase over the next 2 years to 5000 users. my point was that "web 2.0" tools like friend lists aren't just for crazy teenagers and sites with millions of users.

All this "web 2.0" stuff does make it confusing sometimes. I mean, just typing this message, I can use 6 pulldown lists and 26 buttons to change the way it looks, aside from that I can choose from 12 smileys (a subset of the total collection of 20). Some of the buttons have the same function, one of the pulldown lists accesses the same subset of smileys as the menu on the left.

Then if I want to add an attachment it gets even worse...

:wacko:

Then there's a bunch of new features in my profile, such as a personal photo, selecting my gender, the whole friends thing and even setting a "personal statement" (whatever that may be).

Ah, sometimes I long back to the days of Fidonet... But I'm getting all nostalgic now ;)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

hans, that's a great point, i was just discussing it with a professor in the geography dept yesterday. there is certainly a difference of perception between the "internet" generation and those who did not grow up with it, in terms of cluttered interfaces. for younger people/net-savvy, i think the clutter doesn't bother/affect them (me) as much. but i am big on simplicity, and lately i've been toying in my mind with the idea of what a new message board interface might look like.

for instance, i exclusively interact with this board by using the "view new posts", whereas the geography professor i was speaking to interacts more traditionally, starting on the front page, trying to find a topic area that interests him, entering that area, and then browsing the posts inside there, which obviously takes up a lot more time than "view new posts". both have their pros and cons... but my point is, ive been trying to imagine what would be a better, simpler, more intuitive interface for a message board to have. right now i have not seen any "web 2.0 message boards", and based on what you are saying, that would probably be the wrong title to give it if i wanted anyone over the age of 30 to use it :)

but if anyone would be interested in starting a conversation about this, PM me or we could start a new thread in "off topic".

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

ahhh, jean... you are too good to me! ;)

yes, it seems that our conversation has moved from "what the heck is the friend thing for?" to... moving into the brave new world of web 2.0. what i love most about it is the fact that it allows us to each begin to personalize the way that we interact with the web (or at least, that's how i have been thinking about it). i think that the ability for each of us to "customize" the way that we individually interact with the web is quite profound and can/will have great merit for allowing us to all try and stay on top of this growing technological world. i'm over 30 and would still be interested in an "off topic" thread.

as i see it, we just need more documentation on the "how", "what" and "why" of this new web revolution.
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • United States

for instance, i exclusively interact with this board by using the "view new posts", whereas the geography professor i was speaking to interacts more traditionally, starting on the front page, trying to find a topic area that interests him, entering that area, and then browsing the posts inside there, which obviously takes up a lot more time than "view new posts". both have their pros and cons... but my point is, ive been trying to imagine what would be a better, simpler, more intuitive interface for a message board to have. right now i have not seen any "web 2.0 message boards", and based on what you are saying, that would probably be the wrong title to give it if i wanted anyone over the age of 30 to use it :)

I mostly use "view new posts" (I wish more forums I read or participate in had that feature) and I'm a bit over 30 (well, more than a bit! lol). On the other hand I do try to use correct spelling, grammar, capitalization, and avoid "shortcuts" like using 4 when I mean for or u when I mean you. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->