• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

dear cartotalk friends

Lately, I've noticed this new 'friends' feature on cartotalk (o.k., I'm slow).

I guess I'm just not savvy enough about the cyber 'friends' thing. I'm not sure I get it.

I looked around cartotalk, and don't see this concept defined or discussed. Wikipedia on 'myspace friends' doesn't have much to say either. I'm not sure where else to look right off.

Are 'friends' mere shortcuts to people you frequently communicate with - or is something more implied? How does this relate or not to real life friendship? How are cyber friendships made? broken?

I think of friends as people whom I know well and with whom I have common ground, mutual regard, shared experience, and desire/intent to share more. Is this how folks think of 'cartotalk friends'? If so, I would want to be mindful when clicking the 'add a friend' button.

I was thrilled to find out I have a cartotalk friend (thanks Martin!), but not sure how that came about. I noticed there is a friends waiting area of sorts, but not sure how that works. Do you apply for friendship and face rejection? Do admins get to be anyone's friend they want ;>?

In real life, most folks don't hide who their friends are, but we don't necessarily post it on a bulletin board either - what if you are a shy person?

Should friends and acquaintances be distinguished?

I ask these questions with a half smile on my lips and a thoughtful crease on my brow.

Eric

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I am sad to say that I have no friends. :( I also have no idea how it works or how it can be useful other than a quick link to someone. Polaris, you may not have many friends but you're not alone!! :)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am sad to say that I have no friends. :( I also have no idea how it works or how it can be useful other than a quick link to someone. Polaris, you may not have many friends but you're not alone!! :)

Look, you have a new friend! Both of you actually ;)

I really don't know what the added benefit of this function is, but it came with the software upgrade, so we'll live with it. You can also leave comments on eachother's profile pages (which, contrary to PM's, are visible for everybody else).

Cartotalk: The MySpace Of The Map World!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I think it's interesting that you can "remove friends". It's like, "sorry man, that post was so ridiculous I just can't be associated with you anymore, you're killing my forum cred."

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

sounds like this web2.0 thing's growing like cancer. it's a common feature in large social networking sites. but for a small and relatively close-knitted one like cartotalk, it seems rather useless.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Lately, I've noticed this new 'friends' feature on cartotalk (o.k., I'm slow).
Eric

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, so if you're slow I must be stuck in place. :P
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

"sorry man, that post was so ridiculous I just can't be associated with you anymore, you're killing my forum cred."

That's funny Erin. Thanks Eric (Polaris) for bringing that up. I had the exact same thoughts including the one that everybody was just more hip than I was. Also I received an e-mail about a week ago from 'Tagged' (whatever that is). It said that someone was asking me to be my friend. I deleted it as junk but was worried that I had blown off a fellow cartotalker.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

As Hans said, the Friends feature came with the upgrade along with many other User Profile social features. Even I don't really know what the Fiends feature does other than a quick link to someone else's profile.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I like the "Friends Pending Approval" thingy tab... it's like fourth grade all over again, except this time i won't pull my socks up over my knees...LOL

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

i think that the ability to quickly connect with a fellow cartotalker can be valuable. although, it seems like the friend feature when in online worlds like "myspace" and "friendster" is used more as a popularity contest. i get the most random friend requests from people who i have absolutely nothing in common with. at first i was confused, especially since a lot of the requests were coming from young folks whose picture were...how do you say...slutty. and who had thousands of "friends". i have now added all of you as my "friends" and i'm looking forward to sharing our love of mapping/maps with each of you (friend or otherwise). oh, and i really want to win the popularity contest, so VOTE FOR ME and BE MY FRIEND! :lol:

hehe
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

i think that the ability to quickly connect with a fellow cartotalker can be valuable. although, it seems like the friend feature when in online worlds like "myspace" and "friendster" is used more as a popularity contest.

Speaking of which, there's at least one company out there that actually sells friends on Myspace. For a monthly fee, you get 2 messages a week from your 'friend'...

How deep can you sink?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Well thank you Analisa, I feel deeply honored to be your friend.
I dont do the Myspace thing but I must admit that always staring at this cartotalk box that said I had no friends was a little bothersome. Made me feel that I was a cranky sourpus like my avatar.

PS you should change your cartotalk picture (a guy on a mountain?) to the one you have on your website. It does you more justice. Had we all originally seen what a strikingly beautiful woman you are, I.m sure all the men on this site would have already tripped over each other to be your friend. (I cant help it... I'm French) :rolleyes:
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

let's hope cartotalk doesn't stay small forever! it can still be close-knit while having a large user base.. that's what "friend" lists and other ways of maintaining sub-communities are for.

sounds like this web2.0 thing's growing like cancer. it's a common feature in large social networking sites. but for a small and relatively close-knitted one like cartotalk, it seems rather useless.

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

large or small, it's all relative. Facebook has over 15 millions active users and Myspace has 100 millions accounts. I don't think Cartotalk will ever reach these proportions nor would I wish it so. :rolleyes:

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

cartotalk will certainly never reach the 1 million mark, i agree :) right now cartotalk is at 938, so imagine a 5-fold increase over the next 2 years to 5000 users. my point was that "web 2.0" tools like friend lists aren't just for crazy teenagers and sites with millions of users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->