Photo

Has anyone yet received Illustrator CS3?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I have hopes that CS3 will properly convert certain files for me (FreeHand MX on Macintosh--> Illustrator), but I want to be sure before ordering. If anyone has received CS3 and would be willing to open and resave a file for me, I'd be most grateful.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

I have hopes that CS3 will properly convert certain files for me (FreeHand MX on Macintosh--> Illustrator), but I want to be sure before ordering. If anyone has received CS3 and would be willing to open and resave a file for me, I'd be most grateful.

I preordered it, and supposedly Adobe shipped CS3 out Tuesday or Wednesday to everyone, so I should have it very soon.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Dennis - I first thought that you can just download the trial version - but I checked on the Adobe web-site, they won't be made available until after some 6-8 weeks.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Yes - I'd be very interested in hearing about that too.

nonie3234

nonie3234

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

I know I'm a little late to this thread - but I have CS3.
Do you still need help?

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

We've been working with CS3 for a month or two now and finding some issues with converting Freehand 8 files over to CS3, mostly around text. Smaller files seem to do okay; the more complex files result in bigger problems - text broken up, kerning not right, etc. I would like to hear what others have experienced.

KennyRedman

KennyRedman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • United States

Anytime I open/import a freehand file in cs3, the text is always messed up. Luckily, it's usually not very complicated, and I can just swap out the fonts or fix the spacing. I'm not sure of any workarounds for it though- would love to hear one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->