rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hello Everyone -

Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with using diacritical marks in ArcGIS? I've looked on the ESRI forum and here but have found little. Essentially, I'd like to know if anyone has had any difficulties seeing them on screen on a map or in a table (regardless of the font) and, especially, if anyone has trouble printing them at a commercial printer.

Rudy

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Here's what I learned last summer:

http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=1192
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Here's what I learned last summer:

http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=1192

Thanks Dennis, I saw that. Does your solution actually solve all the problems with diacritical marks? Also with text placed on top of the map or in notes or in the legend?

I'm surprised, though that there isn't anything on the ESRI support site about it (or at least not much). I would have thought that it would be more of an issue, particularly with non-English speakers.

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

The short story is text that uses characters with diacritics should work. The software handles diacritics in text placement and our output that support them. Generally, if you can see these characters properly in your DBMS with it's native data viewer, then you should be able to see them in ArcGIS.

It's been several years since diacritics have come up as an issue, in terms of somebody telling us they were not working--if you find that they don't, and your data is properly stored, it's definitely a bug that we'd want to fix. You would just need to get the issue and a sample of your data that has an example of something not working to our technical support folks. This is an issue we take very seriously as well over half our business is non-U.S. and getting closer to the point of being half non-native english speaking.

Generally speaking we test this area of the software in many languages, including Thai, Hebrew, Arabic, Russian, Japanese, Spanish, etc. quite extensively with each release.

As noted in the topic Dennis reference, we do not map from MAC to Windows or vice versa, so chaning platforms is something you'd need to manage depending on your fonts.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->