5 replies to this topic

Gus

Gus

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Brazil

Hi All,

I am writing a thesis on the communication aspects of "maps" that are built using the concept of value-by-area, but are not geographical.

I would like to know if you have come across some nice examples. The best I've found so far is the NEWSMAP:
http://www.marumushi...map/newsmap.cfm

There's another interesting use of the concept in the North American stock market - not as intriguing though:
http://www.smartmoney.com/marketmap/

Anyway, I am looking for references and would be pleased if you could help me.

Cheers,
Gus

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Nothing comes to mind immediately, maybe you could check the Strange Maps Blog.

I have to admit though that I have a very hard time calling these "maps"... maps... if you catch my drift. There is no geographic link whatsoever, nor a geographic relation between items that are shown in close proximity to eachother.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Nothing comes to mind immediately, maybe you could check the Strange Maps Blog.

I have to admit though that I have a very hard time calling these "maps"... maps... if you catch my drift. There is no geographic link whatsoever, nor a geographic relation between items that are shown in close proximity to eachother.

I would argue that these are maps, as there is a spatial component to these diagrams that is significant, whether it is geographical space or not.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

The Places & Spaces exhibit has some interesting "information graphics" along with non-conventional maps. Their website is http://www.scimaps.org. In particular, check out the section on "Domain Maps".

Danielle

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

As with everything, it depends on the definition. But I have always taken broad liberty in defining geography (space, place, location) and maps, as I approach it from an information technology perspective. "Maps" to me are anything that compresses reality into an abstracted form. Information graphics, traditional maps, mental maps... not to mention the concept of maps as a sub-text.

I think cartography must have a more rigid definition of a map.

Gus

Gus

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Brazil

Hey, thanks!

You won't believe how many nice works I've been finding from just two links - that is really scary...

The best of what I found so far is a compilation made by a bloke called Andrew Vande Moere. Worth checking:
http://pingmag.jp/2007/03/23/infosthetics-form-follows-data/

The issue on whether these displays are maps or not is quite an interesting one. As I am not a cartographer myself I think I don't carry a strong view on keeping the word just to describe geographical data. Actually, the word "maps" helps a lot in "classifying" and explaining them.

Thanks again.

Best,
Gus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->