• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi friends - I need assistance with a small corel draw issue - I have a CD 12 file that I need to get into a format I can open in Illustrator (or possibly freehand) - that is .eps, .ai or similar.

PM me if you have Corel Draw and think you can spare a few seconds to help me out with this small favor!

(to just open the file and save it in an adobe readable format)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi friends - I need assistance with a small corel draw issue - I have a CD 12 file that I need to get into a format I can open in Illustrator (or possibly freehand) - that is .eps, .ai or similar.

PM me if you think you can help out with this small favor!

Yo Hugo,
I havent used corel draw in ages but I remember that issue. You need to save your file as an AI file. I assume Corel Draw still has that function right in the save feature. I vaguely remember that what became tricky is that the transfer was version specific. In other words if you saved the file as (say) AI 10 you couldnt open it with any other version. Hope this helps.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

File > Export > then select a format you want to use. It will ask you for the version after.

You can download and use the latest version of CorelDraw X3 for free. It will work for about 15 days but it is fully functional.

Good luck.

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Hugo,

The best "trick" I have found in converting .cdr into .ai is to save your .cdr into version 9, then open that .cdr file in AI v10 or one of the CS suite versions. You'll need to do some "tweaking" in .ai to clean up some translation problems between the two programs, such as:

- custom kerning adjustments
- custom leading adjustments
- text which follows on a path

However, I typically will find that it only takes me 15-20 minutes to clean-up most files in AI once I know what I am looking for, and then you can simply Save As to .ai format in Illustrator once you're done.

Do NOT simply export into Adobe Illustrator .ai format from Corel Draw! Corel has a lousy results when performing this seemingly "easiest" solution, and you'll be sorry if you don't check the results in .ai after you're done. Also, I would STRONGLY recommend that you download the AI Clipboard Visual Basic extension for Corel Draw from Oberonplace.com (http://www.oberonpla...board/index.htm) for copying and pasting any text on a curve/path into .ai.

There's no way around having to "tweak" your .cdr graphic once you've brought it into Illustrator. However, a combination of CD version 9 and the AI Clipboard plug-in will get you 99% home on where you need to be when converting between AI and CDR. Hope that helps!

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

Do NOT simply export into Adobe Illustrator .ai format from Corel Draw! Corel has a lousy results when performing this seemingly "easiest" solution, and you'll be sorry if you don't check the results in .ai after you're done.

Well, yes, I recall now that there are some issues with exporting from Corel to Illustrator but I have had success exporting Corel files to Illustrator. It sometimes depends on the fonts. It's been a while since I've done it so I'd have to go home and check the process again. But it's certainly not as complicated as Derek makes it out to be.

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Do NOT simply export into Adobe Illustrator .ai format from Corel Draw! Corel has a lousy results when performing this seemingly "easiest" solution, and you'll be sorry if you don't check the results in .ai after you're done.

Well, yes, I recall now that there are some issues with exporting from Corel to Illustrator but I have had success exporting Corel files to Illustrator. It sometimes depends on the fonts. It's been a while since I've done it so I'd have to go home and check the process again. But it's certainly not as complicated as Derek makes it out to be.

That might be true, Rudy, depending upon the graphics Hugo is working with. However, four of our five vector designers (myself included) in our shop design exclusively in Corel Draw....and I'm just sharing from experience what has worked best for us. Export to Illustrator out of Corel has been poor, in our experience, specifically related to text. I wish I could simply click "export" and be done with it, but I've been begging Corel Corporation for that ability since version 3 or 4 of Draw, with no luck as of yet. Maybe Corel or Adobe will eventually come-around though and make it easier to move files between .ai and .cdr. A guy can at least dream, can't he? ;)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->