4 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I am working in Illustrator 9 (PC) on a number of map with charts and graphs. I spent the yesterday and this morning working on the file, saved it repeatedly and finally closed it today. I opened up the file and get this message:
Attached File  fonts.JPG   37.35KB   80 downloads

Sadly, half of my charts have disappeared and muich of the surrounding text. Opening the file in CS2 or Illustrator 10 doesn't seem to help so it looks like I'll have to redo the work. :angry:

Some of the charts were done in Excel, copied over and editted in Illustrator. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Are there certain fonts that Illustrator does not like (I was using Arial Narrow)?

I'd be happy to know these things for future reference. Thanks in advance.

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Rudy,

Mordy Golding, author of the Real World Illustrator blog posted a workaround for recovering corrupt files a few months back. Here's the article.

Personally I've never gotten this to work (operator error I'm sure), but undoubtedly Mordy has.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Rudy,

Mordy Golding, author of the Real World Illustrator blog posted a workaround for recovering corrupt files a few months back. <a href="http://rwillustrator...upt-files.html" target="_blank">Here's the article.

</a>Personally I've never gotten this to work (operator error I'm sure), but undoubtedly Mordy has.

I saw that, tried it and ended up with the same message error. There are a couple of other things that might be related:
- I used a font size of 5pt (does that explain the "small fonts" message?)
- I used some special characters such as º and é

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Rudy,

Mordy Golding, author of the Real World Illustrator blog posted a workaround for recovering corrupt files a few months back. <a href="http://rwillustrator...upt-files.html" target="_blank">Here's the article.

</a>Personally I've never gotten this to work (operator error I'm sure), but undoubtedly Mordy has.

I saw that, tried it and ended up with the same message error. There are a couple of other things that might be related:
- I used a font size of 5pt (does that explain the "small fonts" message?)
- I used some special characters such as º and é

I've brought in charts from both Excel and R over the last several years and used small fonts and special characters, none of these things has ever specifically caused me any problems.

I'm not sure what is going on in particular on your end but 5pt fonts are probably not the issue.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I'm not sure what is going on in particular on your end but 5pt fonts are probably not the issue.

I didn't think so either. I've downloaded the latest version of Corel Draw X3 - fully functional for 15 days - I hope to resolve the problem by then! - and have been able to open the file using it. I've tried exporting to an older version of Illustrator - same issue. I've tried printing - same features go missing. Finally I went through every piece of text (fortunately there wasn't too many) and converted them all to Lucida sans, did a document info on the fonts for my original file and my converted file and discovered the only difference in the list of fonts was Arial Narrow. The file now prints. I exported to Illustrator 7 and the file now opens fine.

Any one else have this issue with Arial Narrow?

Still . . . . it doesn't make sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->