• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

smirk

smirk

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Hi, I'm fairly new to cartography in my first year of university study. I'm currently doing a Cartographic Statistics assignment and am having trouble finding good online resources to help me understand how to approach some of the questions. The maths I can do ok, but some of the concepts I'm unfamiliar with and am unsure how to proceed. In specific, the question below.

Q2 - A standard survey mark has the AMG coordinates 339,496.509E, 6,645,859.895N. A sample of 40 instantaneous position fixes from a GPS receiver gives a mean position (transformed to AMG coordinates) 339,499.538E, 6,645,855.509N with a standard deviation of 10.000 m.

A) Formulate null and alternative hypotheses to test the accuracy of the GPS coordinates against the SSM coordinates.
B) Test these hypotheses at a 99% confidence level.
C) From the result to part b) what can you infer about the accuracy of the SSM coordinates and the GPS coordinates?

My main problem is in relation to AMG (Australian Map Grid) co-ordinates vs SSM co-ordinates vs geographic (degrees) co-ordinates and formulas used for conversion. Any enlightenment on a suggested approach to this type of question would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if someone could provide me with links to websites that have good tutorials or information relating to Cartographic Statistics for a beginner, I would be very grateful.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Fun stuff. Sounds like you need to do a unit conversion and use the SD to measuring the 99th percentile?
I don't know of a book/tutorial on cartographic stats but would point you towards any intro to statistics for understanding distributions and the like.

Do you go to Western Australia University?

smirk

smirk

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Australia

Fun stuff. Sounds like you need to do a unit conversion and use the SD to measuring the 99th percentile?
I don't know of a book/tutorial on cartographic stats but would point you towards any intro to statistics for understanding distributions and the like.

Do you go to Western Australia University?

I'm going to Curtin Universtity in Bently, Western Australia, in my first year of a Multimedia Cartography degree. So far all is going well although I must admit I'm a bit rusty on some of the more complex maths as it's been years since I was last a student.

The conversion is my main concern, I've done the statisical calculations both before and after conversion and come up with two different answers, and I'm unsure which direction to go. Seeing as the conversion was generated via the website -

http://www.environme...ls/amg2geo.html

I was interested to know the calculation behind the conversion, and how (or if) the "AMG Zone Number" affects the calculation, as it is not specified in the question. If you could point me in the right direction to some online tutorial sites that focus on statistics for cartography I would appreciate it as google searches have so far been fruitless.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Smirk - Curtin has a very good program - and I think your major is excellent! Regarding the conversion, I am not familiar with a detailed paper on coordinates and AMG conversion.
Hopefully someone else can chip in here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->