10 replies to this topic

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

I posted this location map I produced a few years ago (2003) for your perusal and comments (of course).

The actual link is ... http://www.alchampla.../en/contact.php (click the click here to view a map...)

Some background .... this map was produce using SVG generated data from MapInfo and then imported in Illustrator and rasterized in gif for the web. (Yes the curved text was done in MapInfo using an in house tool)
Today I would probably opt for a MapPublisher workflow.

I don't think that SVG as such is a good Web related map display-interactivity (too slow, lack of a good support viewer, requires a lot a javascripting for interactivity, require the installation of a plugin etc..). Flash and open sources options seems a better route for this.

I do think that SVG can be considered as good xml exchange format for Map Graphics. Seeing that Illustrator imports that format I believe it is an avenue worth investigating for some.

I also noted this press release by ESRI... not sure if 9.2 does support it. Anyway other affordable GIS to SVG conversion tools exists out there.

http://www.esri.com/...arcgis_svg.html
Chart

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice! I like the tints and shading effect.
How was it interactive?

Flash maps are not stylistic as your map is, but I guess speed is the payoff.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

How was it interactive?

Nope this one has NO interactivity ... just a simple .gif file that was included in a html holder.
Chart

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Great color and clarity. I especially like the larger legible street names. One slight comment: the pointing arrow is a little weak. C'est ben beau Jacques.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thank you for the comments.
Chart

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

I don't think that SVG as such is a good Web related map display-interactivity (too slow, lack of a good support viewer, requires a lot a javascripting for interactivity, require the installation of a plugin etc..). Flash and open sources options seems a better route for this.

I do think that SVG can be considered as good xml exchange format for Map Graphics. Seeing that Illustrator imports that format I believe it is an avenue worth investigating for some.

Agreed, although I am not sure about the future of SVG. Adobe has announced it will discontinue support for the viewer. See http://www.adobe.com...viewer/install/. But hey, since SVG is an open-source standard, maybe others will develop it more.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Nice work I like it. Only thing I would say is the bright Green of the train line - makes it prob. the most prominent feature in the map to my eye. I think this would have a simlar kind of importance to the roads for the map use. Also the fade to white of the scale bar gets a bit lost on the light blue, may have been more effective just as black.

That's all me being real picky though—it's very nice as it is, and yes it is good to see how clear the text is—is so often labels gets lost when people take their maps to pixels.

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Nice work I like it. Only thing I would say is the bright Green of the train line - makes it prob. the most prominent feature in the map to my eye. I think this would have a simlar kind of importance to the roads for the map use.

That's interesting. To my eyes the green train line recedes into the background a bit... but then, while I don't have major color-blindness I don't see all the numbers in those color dot color vision tests either. :unsure:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

very nice map. it reads quite clear and concise to my computer weary eyes. I especially like your subtle use of shading on the primary roads to draw the readers eyes to them. As for the green train tracks, i think that it's an issue of color saturation. due to its high saturation (almost appears neon) it stands out as a primary feature (and thus can draw the map readers eye). course, i've never taken a color vision test! ^_^ regardless, i think that it's a splendid map and quite visually enjoyable. thank you for sharing.
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

I agree that the green for the Busway (not a train) makes it a bit recessive, though the green is also nearly fluorescent on an RGB monitor.

I would tone down the purple commercial areas a bit (could be rose or grayish violet) and use a deep intense purple or red for the Busway to bring it to the visual foreground.

Coincidentally, Ottawa was the site of the last cartographic design conference in North America, 1994, sponsored by CCA and NACIS.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks again for the comments.
Chart

0 user(s) are reading this topic