10 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I am been trying to get some info from Navteq and TeleAtlas, but its slow going.
I have a map here (below) and am trying to figure out where the data originated.

I have yet to get a quote from above firms, but anyone have experiences or tips with getting this level of data (streets, POIs, etc.)?

Posted Image

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am been trying to get some info from Navteq and TeleAtlas, but its slow going.
I have a map here (below) and am trying to figure out where the data originated.

I have yet to get a quote from above firms, but anyone have experiences or tips with getting this level of data (streets, POIs, etc.)?

Posted Image

The roads could be either Tele Atlas or Navteq. Both offer POI's as well. Please note that neither offers 100% road coverage in all of western Europe, although in some cases this statement applies to geocoding or navigation data that you would not necessarily need for map production.

The building contours probabely came from a different source. Italian Topographic Service perhaps, or the city of Venice?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

This maybe a long shot.... but it seems like a paper map product that was rasterized? Look at the quality of the text placement....
So why not look into paper map products...
Chart

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

What makes you think this was originally digital data at all? This looks like the kind of stuff we've done for 20 years drawing directly in FreeHand.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

The building prints etc is what I was interested in - It seems digitized, but I have seen so many of these maps, esp in Europe, that I was thinking they were already available.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,839 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The building prints etc is what I was interested in - It seems digitized, but I have seen so many of these maps, esp in Europe, that I was thinking they were already available.

They probabely are, but not Europe-wide in a single dataset. You would have to get in touch with the local NMA or a lower level government body that is doing the mapping at that level. Not all of them would be willing to give or sell you their data though...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

So, to clarify, these types of maps (street level with building footprints) are typically hand drawn using aerial/sat imagery?
I didn't know - I had assumed that for major urban areas the datasets existed. :blink: This will, of course, effect my quote! lol

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Speaking of street level building outlines, look what Google Maps has done with the 3D content from Google Earth!

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

That will be a great way to house/apartment hunt in the city! That looks like hand-drawn work - impressive!

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

That will be a great way to house/apartment hunt in the city! That looks like hand-drawn work - impressive!

It is pretty cool, definitely a step up from the "flattened" art they had before in some metros. Not sure about the prisms going down to ground level...makes the city look like the Crystal Palace. Has anyone done a survey to see how many cities are done up this way? GoogleMapMania says 38. I notice that their Minneapolis is way out of date (2 years? 3?); this will be a hard one for Google to keep up-to-date without some sort of partnering deal with local data sources.
Also interesting that this super detail only works at the bottom 2 layers of zoom.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • United States

That looks like hand-drawn work - impressive!

I think it could be some kind of automated extrusion from building footprints with height attributes for the various sections (at some angle so as to keep the map planimetric while making the buildings appear 3-D). Still a lot of work to maintain the quality and it does look cool.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->