ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Nice. Just get in the car and go to north. I wish I had such Canada near here.

I cant help noticing the romantic view a lot of people have of the Great Canadian North where the mosquitos are so big they have to get down on their knees to sting you in the forehead.

You can blame Jack London and Robert W. Service for a lot of that. So it's true that the national "bird" of Canada is the mosquito?

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

You can blame Jack London and Robert W. Service for a lot of that. So it's true that the national "bird" of Canada is the mosquito?

I did not intend to demean Mike’s seemingly wonderful trip nor the image of Canada,
It’s just that my own trip to the North wasn’t as say, glamorous as Mike’s.

MY TRIP TO THE NORTH

Back in the 70’s (again!). An American friend of mine from Boston – a idealistic, space-cadet, New Ager if there ever was one - bought a little cabin up there. It was part the abandoned DEW line ( A joint American-Canadian Missile Early Warning system of the 1960’s). He envisioned an idyllic unspoiled place for ‘spiritual retreats’.

Getting there was a challenge and half; it wrecked my car. The cabin was part of a creepy landscape of hideous, decaying military structures. I left my friend there to bask in Serenity but the isolation and conditions nearly drove him nuts. He saw this as an environment where his ‘conciousness’ would ‘evolve’ but he found himself going Cro-Magnon in no time. Insects were straight out of the Jurassic period. Bears and wolves roamed a plenty. The Nature he sought to commune with saw him as supper. And when the Sun went down, it felt as if the Earth had switched places with Pluto.

Then on the way back, there was the Indian attack. Not quite like in the movies, they had pick-up trucks and empty beer bottles as projectiles. My friend never went back nor have I. As for the cabin, I am sure that by now, it has reverted seamlessly back into the unforgiving eco-system from which it came. Romantic foreigners and Northern Canada….Be my guest.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Insects were straight out of the Jurassic period. Bears and wolves roamed a plenty. The Nature he sought to commune with saw him as supper. And when the Sun went down, it felt as if the Earth had switched places with Pluto.

Then on the way back, there was the Indian attack. Not quite like in the movies, they had pick-up trucks and empty beer bottles as projectiles. My friend never went back nor have I. As for the cabin, I am sure that by now, it has reverted seamlessly back into the unforgiving eco-system from which it came. Romantic foreigners and Northern Canada….Be my guest.

Oh my god...thanks for laugh. that's absolute gold!

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Getting there was a challenge and half; it wrecked my car. Insects were straight out of the Jurassic period. Bears and wolves roamed a plenty.

I thought mosquito wrecked your car. You should go slower :)

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

There was a great scene with hordes of flying insects in the movie The Snow Walker, about a Canadian bush pilot who crashed somewhere in the north.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

The Werner Herzog documentary Grizzly Man also had some great mosquito scenes from Alaska...where I am heading this week....I'll post my own north of 54° road trip photos when I get back next week...luckily too early in the year for alot of bugs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->