- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Adobe has announced the CS3 line of products as of today. Every application has been overhauled, including all the former Macromedia products (except Freehand) which are now fully integrated with the Adobe products.

The jump from CS2 to CS3 seems much bigger than CS1 to CS2. Illustrator CS3 has a bunch of really great new features. You can watch a video podcast describing a the new features at the Real World Illustrator Blog.

EDIT: you can preorder CS3 for delivery around April 16th

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

According to the list of new features, there's some interesting stuff coming up. The crop area tool sounds very interesting, that would probabely save a lot of time on exporting sections of a map.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

I'm fairly impressed with CS3 as well. We've been working with the betas for a while and I particularly like the UI enhancements myself. Being able to fold the palettes flat against the side and pull them out like drawers when needed is something I'm really looking forward to using again (still working with CS2 at the moment).

Their colourization tool seemed pretty nifty as well. I remember thinking they needed something like that when I first started working on MAPublisher :)
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Just bought CS2 this year... I usually tend to let the dust settle before upgrading (if upgrade I do).

Notice the upgrade price ... up from 169.... They seem to be telling us .... we have the monopoly now.

Also like to wait for MapPublisher to make their product compatible.
Chart

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm fairly impressed with CS3 as well. We've been working with the betas for a while and I particularly like the UI enhancements myself. Being able to fold the palettes flat against the side and pull them out like drawers when needed is something I'm really looking forward to using again (still working with CS2 at the moment).

Their colourization tool seemed pretty nifty as well. I remember thinking they needed something like that when I first started working on MAPublisher :)

So... The big question:

How is CS3 behaving (in combination with MAPublisher, if you had a chance to test that) if you have a large document (i.e. a large map) open? I wasn't really impressed with CS2 in that respect...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Adobe products seem to be pretty strong, quality-wise, right out of the gate, so I will probably upgrade pretty soon (which is NOT the case with Vista). But, as you mentioned I don't use MapPublisher, so that is not an issue.

Nick Springer

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

So... The big question:

How is CS3 behaving (in combination with MAPublisher, if you had a chance to test that) if you have a large document (i.e. a large map) open? I wasn't really impressed with CS2 in that respect...

I haven't tried it with big stuff yet. I was mostly concerned with finding & killing bugs in the API before we were forced to live with them :P We'll give some heavier stuff a shot when we test out the MAPublisher build with CS3 support (we have a few experimental builds for testing with the beta, but put off doing the real deal until there was a final version).
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

So... The big question:

Reports are that they are caching screen redraws so the speed of redraw has been greatly improved (so they say).

Nick Springer

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Reports are that they are caching screen redraws so the speed of redraw has been greatly improved (so they say).

I know a fair bit of work is going into rendering speed on both Illustrator & Photoshop, but I'm both not sure I remember which versions have it, in what amounts, and not sure whether I'm even allowed to speculate about it :) The beta NDA probably ended today, but I should probably refrain from saying much until I know for sure, if only to avoid the remote chance of Adobe coming down like a ton of bricks on Ted, and in turn, me :P
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Looking forward to see this version in action. I really want the redraw/refresh to be faster. It's way too slow in CS2.

Apple.com is already taking pre-orders.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Wonder if it's going to run faster on the Mac? I wouldn't ming getting a Mac for a change and keep the PC for GIS only. I see many places stating that the new CS# will run as fast as old version 8 of Illustrator. Was version 8 that good?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Version 8 was solid as a rock (comparatively) and fast enough to keep up with quick fingers and bursts of inspiration. Previous upgrades point towards "even" versions of Illustrator being better (versions 6, 18, 10, etc. being more stable, feature rich, etc.), and this is number 13. So far it looks intriguing.

I really like Adobe's new focus on color management and think it will help during "color experimenting" mode. Upgrading almost seems like an imperative if you are running on an Intel G5.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

byzantium

byzantium

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:History, art, typography, design, geography, wilderness, sustainability, and the wisdom of the ancients.
  • United States

Another review of AI CS3:

http://www.macworld....orcs3/index.php

I thought Mordy's review was more useful to understanding the new features.

bb

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Has anyone out there purchased and used CS3 yet, particularly Illustrator? I'd be interested to hear what your experience of it is and how it compares to previous versions. It looks like we are close to purchasing a number of licences.

byzantium

byzantium

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:History, art, typography, design, geography, wilderness, sustainability, and the wisdom of the ancients.
  • United States

Well it does feel faster.

Finally when you "outline stroke" of a dashed line, it works!

bb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->