• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

I am looking for business location data in the USA - e.g., major retailers, restaurants, hotels, golf courses, rec facilities - i.e., area amenities of interest to potential homebuyers...

all I need is the business name, type, and coordinates - no contact, demographic, or other marketing info needed

I have been working with Claritas in my current focus area (which is about 170 X 140 km), and coming up with a very large number of listings - which translates into a very high price (at around $50/1000 listings).

Does anyone know of a more economical way to get this information?

Of course, I guess one could swipe info from google maps, but this would be laborious (not to mention probably unethical). Does anyone know where Google gets this information from?

Thanks,

Eric

sean

sean

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:climbing, biking, and tinkering.
  • United States
I have mined GTE Superpages for addresses to geocode... lots of cleaning and then there is that ethics thing.

Polaris

Polaris

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Making maps and data graphics!<br />Paddling<br />Hiking<br />Gardening<br />Natural Philosophy<br />Loved Ones
  • United States

thanks for the reply sean,

years ago I did the same thing with a cheap 'yellow pages' CD - I wasn't very confident in the results and ended up getting the ad sales folk to verify everything (this was for a newspaper) - but it was a starting point...

for general information, such as 'where are the shopping' clusters near a city, I might feel o.k. using google as a source (but still have some question about the ethics), but my client says they will pay for it, so I'm going to go with Claritas

That said, I'm still looking into more economical (or free) sources...

Eric

sean

sean

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:climbing, biking, and tinkering.
  • United States
You could mine Census data and create a map that had a chloropleth layer that showed median household income as a bottom layer (low, med, & high). Overlay that with a dot density layer that reflects population. Lastly do a simple highways/important roads layer on top. Look at the high income/high population/high traffic vector... its a surrogate for retail clusters. Census data is free, your time is obviously not! In the past, my bread and butter was making retail market analysis maps for retailers and developers.

for general information, such as 'where are the shopping' clusters near a city, I might feel o.k. using google as a source (but still have some question about the ethics), but my client says they will pay for it, so I'm going to go with Claritas

That said, I'm still looking into more economical (or free) sources...

Eric

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->