- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Steve Spindler

Steve Spindler

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Maps that promote alternatives to driving.
  • United States

I've been having some projection issues, and I don't know if they are on MAPublisher's end or Manifold's.

I'd like to be using illustrator to trace images from Virtual Earth (that I download into Manifold), but I need to make these images georeferenced. The geotifs from Manifold don't register in MAPublisher, so I simply open a tif in Illustrator and traced it, hoping I could add registration points to the file using MAPublisher. With the registration points, I could then move the tif (and my corresponding line work) to align to the georeferenced registration points.

I posted a web page that documents the process and has projection info. If anyone has incite into how I can get my data to line up correctly, I'd appreciate it.

http://bikemap.com/n...ectionhell.html

Thanks - Steve
- Steve Spindler
Jenkintown, PA

mdsumner

mdsumner

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Australia

At a guess I'd say that the local offsets and scales of your Box drawing in Manifold are not supported on the import to the other software, and you end up with a MIF file without those (as you can see in the final Assign Projection dialog you posted).

Your Box drawing presumably has those offsets as you created it in the context of the Virtual Earth image (which of course has those offsets and scales), so you could try reprojecting Box with the localOffsets set to 0, and the localScales set to 1 - then retry the route via external software.

You can see that Illustrator doesn't pick up those offset/scale values in the dialog it shows before you reproject to long/lat.

BTW, why not reproject to longlat in Manifold before export?

Steve Spindler

Steve Spindler

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:Maps that promote alternatives to driving.
  • United States

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The reason I didn't save the file as lat/lon is that I wanted to import the specific projection into Illustrator automatically. Then I would register some existing vector art against the imported shapefiles.

Generally, I don't have a problem exporting from Manifold to Illustrator. The difference this time is that the projection was the auto mercator projection used by Virtual Earth. The local offsets and scales were automatically set to 0 and 1 respectively.

Thanks,

Steve
- Steve Spindler
Jenkintown, PA

Richard

Richard

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Interests:Surveying, Bushwalking<br />As a kid mapping has always interested me.<br />Main mapping is for a local rivercare group - Mount Roland Rivercare Catchment Inc.<br />Use Manifold, AICS with MAPublisher and CanvasX GIS and field book and pencil.
  • Australia

The geotifs from Manifold don't register in MAPublisher,

Steve, by this do you mean they just wont open or place in AI/MApublisher? I ask this as I cant get geotiffs cropped in Manifold (ones originally georef'd and imported into Manifold - not tiffs georef'd in Manifold) to export and then open in my surveying software. The originals always open, but trying the exported image says there's an error with the image. It appears to be a Manifold problem.
regards, Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->