Writers Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

CartoTalk has become an excellent resource for all of us over the past 3 years for one reason: the collected contributions of it's members. Lately I have been thinking that there is a wider audience that loves maps and geography that would be interested in this collective knowledge as well. So I am launching a new site associated with CartoTalk, a blog written by CartoTalk members for "non cartographic professionals" that have an interest in our world.

Topics would include general articles on maps, the design of maps, things-you-wanted-to-know-about-map-making-but-were-afraid-to-ask, geography, information design and usability, and more. Posts would not typically be long "articles" but usually more like a few paragraphs about a current bit of information. I am not thinking a technical journal but more of a general interest map blog that gives people news, insight, and some techniques about maps. It would be a window into the world of cartography. Save the technical, cartogeek stuff for Cartographic Perspectives :) We might include some basic cartographic production tutorials for designers and other non-cartographers.

Blogs have moved beyond the original "personal journal" stage. Many blogs are written by a team of writers, chosen for writing ability and domain knowledge. Think of blogs as 21st century magazines, only with articles published more frequently. For it to be successful and "sticky" it would need to have a frequent, yet sustainable level of publishing. I would look for interested contributors to submit 1-2 sample postings as a sort of application.

So, to sum up I am looking for 2-4 people who:

1. Have some semblance of writing skills. I don't necessarily mean experience writing, just some kind of style and manner that is not just a static statement of fact.
2. Have a genuine desire to seek out interesting news and stories about maps, cartography, information graphics, and geography.
3. Will commit to making at least 1 to 2 posts a week.
4. Have a clear understanding that the target audience of this blog will be average people with an interest in the above topics, but not necessarily experts in any field. The goal is to share our knowledge and excitement for these topics with a wider audience and hopefully increase awareness about cartography.

Let me know if you are interested by sending me a private message through CartoTalk.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Nick,

Great idea,

I have a question (well maybe a suggestion...)

Why only 2-4 people.

Why not a whole bunch of contributers with only a few editors (like in a real magazine). It would spread the work around....provide with more content and potentially make the blog a must for a lot of people...

Just a thought.

Regard,
Chart

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

2-4 was my minimum to get it off the ground. I would love to have more, but since I have only had one response so far, 2-4 is what I am hoping for at least. And you are right, I would like to have editors as well eventually.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Canada

As a cartographer and a former blog writer I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, any contributions that I would make would be limited because of some conflict of interest issues. Good luck. I look forward to it.

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Rudy, I'm always looking to learn more about the business aspect of things - I am interested in hearing what kind of conflict of interest could arise from being a contributor to an informal blog with no pay. Is there something in your employment contract? Did you have a bad experience with a past blog?

As a cartographer and a former blog writer I think this is a great idea. Unfortunately, any contributions that I would make would be limited because of some conflict of interest issues. Good luck. I look forward to it.

travelbug

travelbug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Hong Kong

Rudy, I'm curious as well, as I'm currently writing a map blog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->