Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Hello to all,

It's my first post, my first map, I am curious of your impressions. Feel free to criticise if you don't like something.

Thank you for your opinions.

Attached Files

• Attached File  MOko.jpg   697.25KB   719 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Rafal,

That is one impressive looking map. Can you tell us a bit more on how it was produced?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Sure.

Two different dems, one for rocks and second for the rest. Two different color schemes for both and Manifold my good friend.

Vector works overlapped in Illustrator.

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Hello Rafal!

Nice map. You have probablly used two different resolution DEMs. One for general hillshading and another more detailed for rock hillshade. Am I right?

Lui

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Hello Rafal!

Nice map. You have probablly used two different resolution DEMs. One for general hillshading and another more detailed for rock hillshade. Am I right?

Lui

It was necessary to use two different dems. I had very detailed dem for whole area, but with poor rocks. So I had to add rocks from somewhere else. I used contour lines from ortophoto.

So, summa sumarum, it's vice-versa, very detailed dem for whole area and so-so for rocks.

Rafal

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Very nice map. One thing I would change is the text. It's hard to see the black labels in locations where shading is very dark. Other than that, looks great.

In Polish:

Czesc Rafal. Mapa jest super. Ja widzialem mapy o Rysach ale ta to jest 10 razy lepsza. Tylko te napisy bym zmienij gdzie jest tak ciemno rzeby je bylo widac.

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Very nice map. One thing I would change is the text. It's hard to see the black labels in locations where shading is very dark. Other than that, looks great.

In Polish:

Czesc Rafal. Mapa jest super. Ja widzialem mapy o Rysach ale ta to jest 10 razy lepsza. Tylko te napisy bym zmienij gdzie jest tak ciemno rzeby je bylo widac.

Hmm, you say text ? I will see how the print proofs will go.

I must say that when I print it on my printer they are very good visible. That jpeg cheats a little.
For the text on the rocks I used a halo around the letters to improve the legilibity. I will see how the proofs will go and maybe then I add the halo.

--

Dzieki. Mam nadzieje ze ludzie beda ja kupowac :)

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Hello Rafal!

Lui

Lui, are you from Bovec ?

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice Rafal. Text looks good. I especially like the rock & dem interlace.

How much area does the final map cover and who is publishing it?

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

It's my first post, my first map,

Excellent! I like the color of the rocks a lot. I agree with Beaver the names are hard to read on the dark spots but then again I find all Polish words hard to read.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

Very nice Rafal. Text looks good. I especially like the rock & dem interlace.

How much area does the final map cover and who is publishing it?

The map wil cover whole Polish part of Tatra. It's circa 175 sq km.

Who is publishing ? Me :) I was making something for the others all the time, now it's time to publish something for me. I hope everything will go OK.

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Lui, are you from Bovec ?

No I'm not. But I think that we have met in Bohinj last year on ICC Mountain Cartographic Workshop. I was presenting some VNS based natural looking mapping approach. If you are the right Rafal (I don't know any other) then I've also drove you back in Kamnik.

Lui

Rafal

Rafal

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Poland

No I'm not. But I think that we have met in Bohinj last year on ICC Mountain Cartographic Workshop. I was presenting some VNS based natural looking mapping approach. If you are the right Rafal (I don't know any other) then I've also drove you back in Kamnik.

Lui

Aha, so I know who's Lui. Hello :)

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Slovenia

Hello! Welcome on the board. We should continue our conversation on PM.

Lui

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

wow. Very nice. I usually use Lidar data for my hillshades and usually wind up down sampling them. I've never thought to combine the the lower res version with the high res version in selected areas, so thanks for the "ah ha" moment that you've just given me!

One small thing that my admittedly untrained eyes noticed: the lakes layer looks like it is below the green lowland tints, which is giving ... hmm... is it "Morskie Oko" (?) a strange algae bloom color.

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->