Upgrade: New Features

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Cartotalk has been upgraded to the latest and greatest version. You will see some minor cosmetic changes, but more Ajax and other improvements under the hood.

The Country flags will be back soon, and the Resources section is a little borked as well, but I will fix that.

Enjoy!

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Cartotalk has been upgraded to the latest and greatest version. You will see some minor cosmetic changes, but more Ajax and other improvements under the hood.

The Country flags will be back soon, and the Resources section is a little borked as well, but I will fix that.

Enjoy!

Could it be that attachments (or at least pre-upgrade attachments) are broken?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

The country flag's just haven't been added in manually by me. And the Resources add-on is just old code that is not fully compatible with this version. I just need to upgrade.

Nick Springer

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The country flag's just haven't been added in manually by me. And the Resources add-on is just old code that is not fully compatible with this version. I just need to upgrade.

Actually, I meant the attachments in the old (pre-update) posts... ;)

New ones work fine:
[attachment=604:beck_roa..._sample1.jpg]
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

Ah yes, I see that now. I'll look into that now.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

Update: old attachments are not showing up as images, just as a text reference. Nothing has been lost, I am just waiting to hear back about a fix.

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

Alright, I think all attachments are working again (except for the one single attachment in this topic :P )

Nick Springer

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I like the update you did Nick, the flags are real cool. what is the little man besides the names?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

The little man shows if that user is currently online (colored) or offline (gray).

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

I wanted to point out some of the new features with this update (besides lots of security and performance enhancements)
  • Completely new User Controls - lots of new information here
  • Extended statistics - link in the Statistics header, geeky but fun info
  • Enhanced country indicators (my custom modification) - appears in topic views and on the main page you can click on a flag to see a list of members from that country
  • Topic Ratings - a new feature I though we would try. In selected forums you can give a topic (not an individual post) a 1-5 rating. I though this might be a good way to highlight the most interesting topics.
  • Updated resources section - pictures are working again
  • New Members List - now they are mini-profile cards instead of a list. I am looking into adding the flags and NACIS logos to these.
A lot of Ajax code has been added as well (for anyone not familiar with this technology, it allows data to be updated without refreshing the entire page).

Nick Springer

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I have been enjoying the update that Nick did of the site and browsing through the pages of the other members of this august club.
I was wondering why so few have put pictures or other info about themselves on their page. I,m not much of a blogger and maybe its a common thing but I just like seeing who everybody is and where they are from and all that. If Will Durant said that maps represent the face of history then I figure that also means that faces represent the map of his (or her) story.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

I think a lot of people just haven't discovered all the customization available in the User Control Panel.

One thing everyone should know is I have added the ability for Validated users to change their display name themselves once every 6 months. This is just the display name, not your login name. I know a few months ago we had a discussion about display names and people wanting to change them.

Nick Springer

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Software quirk I noticed today:

I usually read the site by first clicking on "View New Posts" then scroll through the "Search Results/Your Topics" list. To read a thread I click on the "Goto first unread" blue graphic to jump to the new post. Then I use the browser's back button (or mouse button macro) to go back the the "Search Results/Your Topics" list.

Now, the "back" option reloads the current page because there is a redirect link. The id of the new post isn't linked from the blue graphic anymore, this is looked up when the page is redirected.

The work around is to use the "back" button drop-down menu to select the "Search Results/Your Topics" page. Or open each thread to read in a new window. Either way it is slower.

I don't suppose there is a way to revert to the old linking method?

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • United States

Interesting. I followed your steps in Firefox and I was able to go back to the search results with the back button. Anyone else having the same problem, because I can't reproduce it.

Nick Springer

danielle

danielle

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Our office uses Internet Explorer, we are currently using IE6.

I checked with Firefox, and this is another case where Firefox just seems to be smarter. It is not storing the intermediate link:

[http://www.cartotalk...iew=getnewpost]

but only the final link:

[http://www.cartotalk...0&#entry11105].

So when you go forward and backwards, only the sites you actually want to see are displayed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->