araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Here is a sample of what I'm working on. It's Eastern Sacramento County and Western El Dorado County in Northern California. This area is known as the "Foothills" and is part of the Siera Nevada Mountains. I want to make sure to show the HillShade on this map, but I want my Quad to come thru. Going off of some of the suggestions proffered, I put my 10m(resampled)dem on the top layer and made it 90% transparent. I put my quad underneath and I put a rivers layer in there(none of those are transparent at all). I hope its resoulution is good enough to see on the web. This is a 24x36 sheet and it's at 72 dpi. (I tried to make it a pdf, but it came out to 3megs at 300dpi!)

My main hangup doing these types of maps is that the quad is not dark enough and the dem is transparent only a little bit, so when I do print this out on a full size sheet it is too dark. Not good.

Maybe you guys have a different way?

I also did it this way. I tried to put my hillshade in 3D Analyst and drape the quad over it. I made the quad 50%transparent THEN I exported as a tif. Still was producing really bad results.

Any ideas?
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Re: printing, you may try turning down the black in the printer settings - esp. if using an wide format inkjet plotter.

Re: map, is there a real need for using the topo-quad? You could improve the map by draping SACOG (Sacramento Area of Governments) land use (generalized) and add basic features (highways, cities) and labels. Sounds like you are using and staying in Arcmap? If this is a quick map, the above won't take long at all, and with improved labeling, would be improved. Lastly, a header bag might be good (title, locator map, scale/arrow, etc.).

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Re: printing, you may try turning down the black in the printer settings - esp. if using an wide format inkjet plotter.

Re: map, is there a real need for using the topo-quad? You could improve the map by draping SACOG (Sacramento Area of Governments) land use (generalized) and add basic features (highways, cities) and labels. Sounds like you are using and staying in Arcmap? If this is a quick map, the above won't take long at all, and with improved labeling, would be improved. Lastly, a header bag might be good (title, locator map, scale/arrow, etc.).

I did this map as a quick example. I would add north arrow/title/border later. This example was for illustrating why using the transparency for my dem at 90% leaves a lot to be desired. Still tweaking it.

I would LIKE to use the quad, BUT it's not necessary. I just like having the contours on - gives a lot more detail, plus ppl are familiar with them. However, now that I think about it, I could prolly drop the quad and just add streets/hiways/5 ft contours from USGS. It may end up being a good map.

Thanks for another tip.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Is the lower end of the color ramp for the hillshade pure white? If not try making it so. If it is already maybe try adding more white to the lower end. There are at least several of ways of doing this (and you can combine them to have even more control over the result). (also make sure the other end of the ramp isn't too dark - I would go with a medium gray)
1. Edit the ramp itself and experiment with adding another ramp and editing the colors in it and in the existing ramp so there is a broader section of the lightest colors at the lower end of the ramp.
2. Edit the raster layer symbology. For example, using the Stretch Type Minimum-Maximum you can edit the values at which the color ramp starts and stops. This causes the part outside that range to be filled with the start and end colors of the ramp. So you can do something like lighten up the light end by editing, at least in the case I looked at, the high value to something like 190. (this would probably be the one I start with as it's easier to play around with and get more immediate feedback of the results.)
3. Adjust the contrast and brightness for the hillshade.

I hope this helps :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->