• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

byzantium

byzantium

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:History, art, typography, design, geography, wilderness, sustainability, and the wisdom of the ancients.
  • United States

I like this map very much. I would love to have this map in my collection.

If it is large and made out of plastic, I think CA$12 is not unreasonable.

However I was surprised to see upside down topo elevation labels. Is there some sort of convention about this that is different in Canada than the US? Or maybe that is normal and it's just the USGS that doesn't put topo elev's upside down.

Thanks for showing us your map!

bb

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

The web site shows $19

byzantium

byzantium

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:History, art, typography, design, geography, wilderness, sustainability, and the wisdom of the ancients.
  • United States

Ouch. That seems to me to probably be the upper end of what people are willing to pay for a map.

I think the ideal solution for that kind of situation is to offer the map in both a less expensive paper version and the more expensive plastic version.

bb

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Ouch. That seems to me to probably be the upper end of what people are willing to pay for a map.

I think the ideal solution for that kind of situation is to offer the map in both a less expensive paper version and the more expensive plastic version.

bb

I understand where you are coming from - however, creating a set on paper and then a set on synthetics will only drive the price up because of the extra work at the press. Another issue to consider is that if you're on a backcountry trek in the winter, you'll appreciate a plastic map - especially out here on the west coast. Paper maps take a real beating.

Beaver is right, the map is selling for $18.95CAD (about $16.50USD). Our standard Canadian government issue maps (1:50k NTS sheets) cost about $12 each (single sided, paper BTW) - so, in the end, that's $24 to get the coverage you need to get around the park. There is a choice.

I'm expecting the maps to arrive by the end of this week and I'll have PayPal set up on the website so you can order one - Your support is much appreciated.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

However I was surprised to see upside down topo elevation labels. Is there some sort of convention about this that is different in Canada than the US? Or maybe that is normal and it's just the USGS that doesn't put topo elev's upside down.

Thanks for showing us your map!

bb

The Canadian standard for labeling contours is to have the top of the text facing 'uphill' - no matter if the orientation on the map is inverted. The reasoning is that you can always tell which was in up in a convoluted mess of contours. It's quite intuitive actually.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->