19 replies to this topic

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Here's a link to our latest cartographic project: http://www.clarkgeomatics.ca/zoom.html.
It's our first map in a series for hikers and backcountry skiers for the Garibaldi Park area in British Columbia, Canada. This park is about 45 minutes away from Whistler/Blackcomb ski area. In fact, you'll see it on the north end of the map.

The map will be for sale at the end of March (if all goes well).

Please feel free to have a look - all feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • United States

Here's a link to our latest cartographic project: http://www.clarkgeomatics.ca/zoom.html.
It's our first map in a series for hikers and backcountry skiers for the Garibaldi Park area in British Columbia, Canada. This park is about 45 minutes away from Whistler/Blackcomb ski area. In fact, you'll see it on the north end of the map.

The map will be for sale at the end of March (if all goes well).

Please feel free to have a look - all feedback is welcome.

Cheers,

Jeff

Looks good :D
No criticism here
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have to agree with Dave, looks wonderful.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Can't wait to get this!

ernesto_carreras

ernesto_carreras

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Base map design
    Modern & Historical map techniques
    Hillshading techniques
    Modelling (Geohazards, Habitats, etc.)
    3-D modelling
  • Puerto Rico

Good looking map!!!!
Ernesto Carreras
Geospatial Analyst II

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Thanks for your comments.

Martin - I just got a call from the printer and it turns out that the synthetic stock it's going to be printed on is only due to arrive on March 23. It seems like the east coast of the U.S. has a monopoly on Polyart! So, just a little delay in getting this map to you. Hope the studies are going well and the cold isn't killing you.

JC
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Very nice map. What's the price?

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Never mind, I found the price on your web site. Little high for a single map.

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Little high for a single map.

Beaver, thanks for dropping by the CGC website. As a member of CartoTalk, you probably make a living doing something map-related. I don't know if you've published maps for retail or not, but you probably know that the perceived value of a map depends on the point of view of the buyer or map user. In this case, it's a small map run for a very specific function - backcountry travel in Garibaldi Park. The map went through several iterations and was edited by many experienced hiker / skiers. The backcountry customer base also tends to be, in general, very map-literate and relies on accurate and up-to-date mapping to get from point A to point B - safely. We feel our map does just that.

However, if someone didn't want to pay our suggested retail, they have options. The standard government issue maps (1:50k NTS sheets) cost about $12 each (single sided, paper) - and, as a bonus for the map area I've covered, because the feds work on an even degree/minute grid, a hiker requires two maps to cover the area I cover on the single map - so, in the end, that's $24. Now our map starts to sound like a bargain.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Jeff?map looks great, nice clear presentation of the information I imagine would be needed.

We have a similar concept here in NZ where we produce a range of 'Outdoor Rec Maps' at 1:50k?in the same way NZ has a 1:50k national map series in which some popular areas require 6 maps to cover what we produce on double sided A1 map.

What was the basic method used to compile the map? If you don't mind me asking? Do you have any problem with folding the synthetic stock? We ran ours on normal offset paper but also put a couple of hundred sheets of cyclone synthetic through the press at the end of the run which we sell at 2.5x the price. The synthetic we keep flat and hand fold as an order comes in though as the printers don't want to fold it - static build up between sheets and too slippery for the machine to grip I think.

Anyway hope the map goes well.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Jeff,

Nice maps, nice site etc....

Just one suggestion

When using NTS 50k maps with a GPS it would be nice to have the lat long grid line (as opposed to only the surrounding tics) show on the map. Most GPS can be set to a UTM projection but lat long (WGS 84) is usually the default setting (and in a lot of cases the most used one). I know having 2 grid lines over the map could be cumbersome ... but this could be a good design challenge.

Again nice work.
Chart

tom harrison

tom harrison

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • United States

Before you decide on adding grid lines, you might want to check with the search and rescue teams that might use your maps. My maps are used by SAR teams all over California and every team I have talked to uses UTM and NAD 1927 for their primary GPS coordinates. That's mostly because USGS topo quads uses NAD 1927, plus it is much easier to use a UTM grid plotter than a lat/long plotter.

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

What was the basic method used to compile the map? If you don't mind me asking? Do you have any problem with folding the synthetic stock? We ran ours on normal offset paper but also put a couple of hundred sheets of cyclone synthetic through the press at the end of the run which we sell at 2.5x the price. The synthetic we keep flat and hand fold as an order comes in though as the printers don't want to fold it - static build up between sheets and too slippery for the machine to grip I think.

Anyway hope the map goes well.

Thanks for the note.

Basic compilation was carried out using our federal government's public domain data (1:50k DEM and vectors), Landsat 7 ETM, GPS data from myself and other contributors. That's pretty much it. The odd time I had to refer to an on-line version of the provincial data (1:20k) to verify spot heights and smaller rivers visually. Contours were generated from the DEM.

Printing: ya - that's the tiger you have to tame. I went to several printers across Canada to find one with experience in printing as well as folding. Static is an ongoing issue with folding synthetic stock - some binderies are better than others. My understanding is that you have to pay more attention to folding syn-stock and go a little slower.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Jeff,

Nice maps, nice site etc....

Just one suggestion

When using NTS 50k maps with a GPS it would be nice to have the lat long grid line (as opposed to only the surrounding tics) show on the map. Most GPS can be set to a UTM projection but lat long (WGS 84) is usually the default setting (and in a lot of cases the most used one). I know having 2 grid lines over the map could be cumbersome ... but this could be a good design challenge.

Again nice work.

Thanks Jacques - much appreciated.
I had considered the Lat/Long grid issue and decided to use tics instead - the "Zoom" version posted on my site doesn't show them very well, but they are there on the printed map - not just on the border.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Before you decide on adding grid lines, you might want to check with the search and rescue teams that might use your maps. My maps are used by SAR teams all over California and every team I have talked to uses UTM and NAD 1927 for their primary GPS coordinates. That's mostly because USGS topo quads uses NAD 1927, plus it is much easier to use a UTM grid plotter than a lat/long plotter.

Tom - maps north of the U.S. border use NAD83 for all basemapping. The SAR folks up here adhere to the NAD83/UTM standard as well.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->