kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:wine, women and song
  • Norway

Hi,

Great to be back after a 12 month break.

This is for all you budding cartographers that are in the process of establishing yourselves, or as the title suggests, in "between". As you may well know; for any destination, be it town, city or village, Web-based PDF travel maps are alpha omega.

Most travelers when using the Web these days, want to get in, get their stuff, and then get out and on their way. Good quality maps are a blessing for any traveler wanting to explore alone or in a group, without them having to ask for directions every ten meters or so. Freedom and independence is what it's all about now.

You can take advantage of this opportunity by creating quality maps with reliable content and useful information, and then offer the material on a PDF-map site. Travelers are excellent communicators, they recommend useful material to each other via the net. Eventually you'll be able to build up a regular flow of traffic to your site. If you have flair, are reliable, able to deliver quality material and have a passion for your profession you'll build up an enormous amount of goodwill with travelers to your region and at the same time establish a potential advertising medium for yourself.

Good content + high visitor rate= revenue

Here's an example of a recently launched PDF-map site. Straightforward navigation combined with a good mix of facilities:

http://www.sandnes-guide.no

You will have to dedicate some time and effort in the initial stages of development, but once you've established your platform you'll have created a useful and necessary service for travelers to your region as well as having provided a potential long-term source of revenue for yourself.

Google's AdSense is one possible extra source of income for cartographers. For anyone with a little sales & marketing experience, there are always national and international advertisers looking for good content and stability as a channel for their own goods and services on the Web. Even better if you have local knowledge and a network already established that can be incorporated into your service.

Feel free to get some inspiration or use some of the ideas from the Sandnes Guide web site, just remember to keep it simple. Also have in mind that your visitors must be able to access and utilize the maps quickly and efficiently. Language is also a factor to consider. By offering your maps in a variety of languages you are inclined to make travelers feel even more welcome. The PDF format is a must for high resolution printing. Having a good quality informative map in your pocket before you arrive at your destination is an asset.

Changing the subject a little now; over to you fuddy-duddies with your 6 employees to look after and the wife and kiddies at home waiting for you to bring the bread & drippin'. Even you lot should be able to find a little inspiration in the above.

Methinks not, so I shall leave you with the following mp3 sample from Monty Python. If this doesn't inspire you then you may have to call the men in white coats!
(plays automatically in your preferred media player)

For those of you that are slogging your guts out for the wealthy 'top nobs', just remember:
don't let the bastards grind you down!

Take care and keep on mapmaking!

Posted Image

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Nice one, Paul. Are you a cartographer slash publisher? Publishing a great way for cartographers to 'diversify' their revenue stream.

I do like the format and presentation of the Sandnes maps. Well done. I am actually planning a Norway family trip, and had not heard of Sadnes before :rolleyes: - now thanks to your maps I know I can take a flight via Frankfurt then a ferry to Bergen!

Having started on my own in the past 6 mos (having left a GIS analyst position in US and now living in Italy), I have been able to make a lot of great clients in the print/web publishing sectors. Word of mouth referrals is key. One great aspect of Cartotalk and like associations is being able to take on work that I personally will not do, yet can collaborate with another cartographer to fulfill a client's needs.

kevinpaulscarrott

kevinpaulscarrott

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Interests:wine, women and song
  • Norway

Nice one, Paul. Are you a cartographer slash publisher? Publishing a great way for cartographers to 'diversify' their revenue stream.

I do like the format and presentation of the Sandnes maps. Well done. I am actually planning a Norway family trip, and had not heard of Sadnes before :rolleyes: - now thanks to your maps I know I can take a flight via Frankfurt then a ferry to Bergen!

Having started on my own in the past 6 mos (having left a GIS analyst position in US and now living in Italy), I have been able to make a lot of great clients in the print/web publishing sectors. Word of mouth referrals is key. One great aspect of Cartotalk and like associations is being able to take on work that I personally will not do, yet can collaborate with another cartographer to fulfill a client's needs.

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been up in the mountains away from all the 'bull' down in the valley.

Thanks for your feedback, very much appreciated!

Sounds like you've got your act together, well done. I admire a person who goes it alone.

I'm a full time cartographer, but to compete with all the other sob's I do a lot of publishing.
Mainly web-based work combined with small printed map products. I'll publish some information on CartoTalk soon, about one of the useful folding maps that I publish for some of the museums in Norway.

Have a good one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->