Photo

How to calculate Market Value of a Cartographer & GIS Expert?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

bhupesh

bhupesh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • India

Dear Friends,

As we all are aware that market for GIS & Cartography is booming like anything all over the world (even in developing countries like India). Market value (in terms of remuneration) is definitly a measure of a profession's growth. If anybody have idea please share how can we (i.e. GIS experts, Cartographers etc.) calculate our current market value in comparison to other professions? Is there any standard measure to calculate it (definitly it will include a person's qualification+experience)?.

Regards

Bhupesh

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Do you mean the value of the market on a whole (globally) or the value of a person within the market (and consequently: what your hourly rate should be).

On the latter, there's an interesting post on the Manifold forum about that: Cost of a GIS tutor

In general, it's very difficult to determine a person's value. There's a lot of factors involved: skill level and relative skill level (i.e. how many other people are there with a similar skillset that are competing for the same jobs/clients) are important, so is location, albeit to a lesser degree.

We've had discussions here in the past on billing and rates, but as far as I can remember, there were no clearly defined answers then and I'm pretty certain there won't be any clearly defined answers now.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

There are several salary surveys out there for the GIS profession. A quick google search under those terms should yield some results.

mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->