Photo

Bump Mapping using Spatial Analyst (ESRI)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

ernesto_carreras

ernesto_carreras

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Base map design
    Modern & Historical map techniques
    Hillshading techniques
    Modelling (Geohazards, Habitats, etc.)
    3-D modelling
  • Puerto Rico

My Ernesto Carreras and I am a recent member in this forum. The re4ason for this message is because I have a couple of questions related to the Bump Mapping technique. I am trying to use this technique for a map that I am creating but for some reason, the expression provided in the ESRI website, it is not working. I am using the following expression:

(eucdistance(con( ($$rowmap mod int(normal() * 5 + 10) eq 0) and ($$colmap mod int (normal() * 5 + 10) eq 0),255),#,#,60,#)) * (-20 / 10) + 120

I tried copying and pasting the expression into the Raster Calculator, as well as typing it manually, but it did not worked. I am using as a reference J. Nighbert's paper but he uses DOQs to create the land cover (vegetation raster); therefore the example he uses does not work for me since I plan to use a land cover raster dataset created for the study area.

The first question is if that expression is correct. If not, how can I fix it? Another question is related on how to apply the parameters for the various vegetation types that I want to represent using this effect. Finally, is there any way this expression can be explained in words?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.
I can provide screenshots showing the settings I am using, if needed.
Ernesto Carreras
Geospatial Analyst II

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

That looks like the exact formula I have used with success, but I've known other people to have difficulty with it. It seems to me the raster calculator is sensitive to formatting so make sure you don't have extra spaces (even before or after the expression; although I'm not sure that would cause problems). Also make sure it is one line (even though it automatically wraps in the raster calc window).
It may be that there are other reasons why it doesn't seem to work sometimes, but I'm not sure what those reasons might be.
I would probably try it out with a small subset of your data.

You can find a demo of this technique in the UC2005 Presentation .pdf at http://support.esri....l...eway&dmid=3
Although, Jeff Nighbert's paper is probably more definitive.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Ernesto,

I'm not familiar with this methodology (I'm not sure if this the one Aileen authored, though we're pretty busy through tomorrow and cannot check in detail until afterwards), but when I'm confronted with a similarly complex problem, I go through it one step at a time manually--that usually turns up where the problem is. I would suggest trying to run the colormap, rowmap, then con, then eucdistance, and finally the math stuff to see where it's bogging down. If it works manually, then there's likely a syntax error.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

ernesto_carreras

ernesto_carreras

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
    Hillshading techniques
    3-D modelling
  • Puerto Rico

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I will take these suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again.
Ernesto Carreras
Geospatial Analyst II

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. I will take these suggestions and see what happens. Thanks again.

I was wondering if you might know a little about painted relief on a map. I have been experimenting for the better part of a year now on getting a "painted relief" effect on a quad. I use Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst to try and get it, but to no avail. I have tried the links provide on this forum(relief shading and shaded relief) but I can't emulate those techniques.
Here is what I'm trying to emulate: http://gis.esri.com/...roc03/p0137.pdf

I even emailed the author, but no reply. In Figure 3 he has an excellent exampl of painted relief using hillshade and a base - and blending the 2. But no matter what transparency I set up, it looks really bad.

If you got any ideas please post.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Randy, to me that looks like an "ordinary" shaded relief, although beautifully crafted.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ernesto_carreras

ernesto_carreras

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
    Hillshading techniques
    3-D modelling
  • Puerto Rico

I agree with Hugo. It seems like it is just a shaded relief underneath the quad. Try giving the quad a 55% or 50% transparency. Start from there, see how it looks and then you can determine if you need to increase or decrease the transparency level. Good luck!
Ernesto Carreras
Geospatial Analyst II

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Of course it helps to start with good data. :)
Once you have a good hillshade there are things you can do to improve the appearance of the layer in the map, such as using a white to medium gray color ramp or even a ramp based on a particular color such as brown or green depending on your area (rather than the standard white to black ramp), setting transparency on the hillshade layer itself to tone it down, experimenting with contrast and brightness, using Bilinear inerpolation rather than the other smoothing options, and more advanced techniques such as multi-directional or Swiss-style shading.
You can find out more information on some of this in the ESRI BaseMap Data Model website.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

araki5

araki5

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:GIS/MAPSERVER/OSSIM/GDAL
  • United States

Of course it helps to start with good data. :)

Thanks Dave. It's always cool to have someone from ESRI lurking around. I think that since I'm not the most "artistic" of people, maybe my eye is not that good for looking at my finishe quads/shaded relief combo maps.

Thanks again and I'll still plug away.
Randy Long
GIS/CAD Tech
Mackay and Somps

Raster is Faster, but Vector is Corrector.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Thanks Dave. It's always cool to have someone from ESRI lurking around. I think that since I'm not the most "artistic" of people, maybe my eye is not that good for looking at my finishe quads/shaded relief combo maps.

Thanks again and I'll still plug away.

:D

Well, you're in luck, you have a great group of cartographers here, with all sorts of experience and expertise, who can critique your maps for free. :D

Maybe, next time you are working on a map with hillshades and such you could post it and let the group offer helpful suggestions... :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think that the "transparency" function in ArcGIS visually dilutes the data/imagery somewhat. I have, on occasion, placed the hillshade on the topmost layer and made it 90% transparent with some success - leaving the other data on lower layers at 100%.

I have found much more pleasing visual output "blending" different layers in Photoshop (or Illustrator) by using the "multiply" function. This function looks at the color information in each channel and multiplies the base color by the blend color.

I think there is a command in the OLD ArcInfo that performs a similar function. It would be very nice to have different blending modes in Arc.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Looking through Tom Patterson's website will also give you several ideas such as using a slope image to add some details to the shading.

well worth spending some time with...

and of course there is Imhof.

m

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

one can of course do the blend the Spatial Analyst/GRID way, and calculate new RGB values based on the respective channels in two raster layers (treating each rgb image as a three-channel grid stack)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->