7 replies to this topic

Robyn

Robyn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me solve this.

I am in the process of working on my "Major Topographic Project" of Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Mid-way through this project my class was offered the opportunity to switch from ArcGIS 9.1 to 9.2.
One of the new features is "Convert Symbology to Representation". This in theory should save us many hours of generalization. My problem is that, as I understand it, I should be able to create a rule to "offset" buildings from roads. Is this possible with this tool? or have I misunderstood its capabilities.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Robyn

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me solve this.

I am in the process of working on my "Major Topographic Project" of Thunder Bay, Ontario.
Mid-way through this project my class was offered the opportunity to switch from ArcGIS 9.1 to 9.2.
One of the new features is "Convert Symbology to Representation". This in theory should save us many hours of generalization. My problem is that, as I understand it, I should be able to create a rule to "offset" buildings from roads. Is this possible with this tool? or have I misunderstood its capabilities.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Robyn

I haven't used the cartographic representations feature in 9.2 yet, but I just want to note that the vast majority of these carto tools are only available with ArcEditor licenses and higher. In other words, if you are only running an ArcView license, you will not be able to access these new features.

My somewhat unrelated question is: how many cartography shops are running ArcEditor or ArcInfo licenses?? I imagine that most cartographers are using ArcView, since it does 99.9% of what they need and it is so much less expensive....Personally, I think E$RI missed the boat on this one, but I could be wrong.

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I imagine that most cartographers are using ArcView, since it does 99.9% of what they need and it is so much less expensive....Personally, I think E$RI missed the boat on this one, but I could be wrong.

I agree that it is frustrating to not have those tools without the higher level licenses which I can't personally afford, but they are a business and not a charity so....

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

ESRI was a leader in providing licenses to Educational Institutions. In my mind that is what has made them obtain such a large market share over the years. I would think Robyn has access to all the licenses and extensions she needs. As for the cost, I just look at it as the cost of doing business.

Bruce

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi Robyn,

Back to that orginal question you posted, I sat through a demonstration of the cartographic representation last week and I think it looks like a very handy tool. The only problem was the demonstrator obviously knew the tool back to front and went so damn fast we couldn't keep up.
I have a couple of documents that my local ESRI provider pointed me to and said that they should help. It might turn out to be one of those tools which we have to learn by jumping in and doing (and making plenty of mistakes).
Link to Documents below (Let me know if the links don't work I couldn't get the "insert link" button working on my browser)

http://webhelp.esri....representations

http://webhelp.esri....ations_tutorial

Don't know if you have already come across them but I think they are a handy starting point for anyone else interested.

Andrew

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Hi Robyn,
I sat through a demonstration of the cartographic representation last week and I think it looks like a very handy tool.

I've sat through several demonstrations over the past months and the new cartographic rep. features are very impressive. Has anyone on the board created a map and employeed the new features? How did it work out? Anyone?

Robyn

Robyn

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the response.
First let me say that Bruce is correct, I am under an educational license and therefore have the extensions.

Second Andrew, thanks for the links. I had a quick glance a moment ago but will tackle them tomorrow.

I will let everyone know if it worked.

Thanks again

pghardy

pghardy

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • United Kingdom

... I am in the process of working on my "Major Topographic Project" of Thunder Bay, Ontario. Mid-way through this project my class was offered the opportunity to switch from ArcGIS 9.1 to 9.2. One of the new features is "Convert Symbology to Representation". This in theory should save us many hours of generalization. My problem is that, as I understand it, I should be able to create a rule to "offset" buildings from roads. Is this possible with this tool? or have I misunderstood its capabilities.
... Robyn

The 9.2 representation mechanisms are certainly powerful and well worth looking into by anyone using ESRI software for cartography (I can safely say that, as I was the program manager on their development :) ). However unfortunately they are probably not going to help you with contextual generalization :( .

The representation rules are applied one feature at a time, dynamically at draw time. The only context available to the rule while it is being executed is the one feature currently being drawn. Therefore rules for drawing buildings can know nothing about any roads to be avoided.

The only exeption to that is that rules can use any attribute information stored on the feature being drawn, so if a previous geoprocessing process had used the power of ArcObjects to find the nearest road to each building and calculated and stored an appropriate offset on the building, then the buildings rule could use it at draw time to displace the representation of each building.

We do have a research project going on concerning contextual generalization, which is prototyping an Optimizer which can do tasks like displacement which are contextual and may need to balance conflicting constraints (when displacing buildings from roads, don't move them over water or other buildings, and never move them to the other side of the road). See the workshop paper from the ICA generalization working group meeting last year. Note however the caveat in the paper "This paper is a forward-looking research document, and the capabilities it describes are evolving prototypes. As such, it should not be interpreted as a commitment by ESRI to provide specific capabilities in future software releases". There will be an updated paper on this research at this year's ICA conference in Moscow, and I'll post a link to that when it is available.
--
Paul Hardy
ESRI Europe (phardy@esri.com)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->