Photo

How to find out shortest path in ArcGIS?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

bhupesh

bhupesh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • India

Dear Friends,

I have road network of a state & want to find out shortest path between some of the stations in ArcGIS 9.0. Please go through the follwoing issues-

1. What are the attributes required to calculate shortest path?

2. What are the steps to be followed? (If somebody can take pain to write exact step-by-step methodology, it will be great).

3. I have ArcGIS desktop (not ArcInfo).

Regards

Bhupesh

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

You would need to put your data into a geodatabase and create a geometric network (in ArcCatalog). Then use the Utility Network Analyst toolbar (in ArcMap) to solve the path problem--you only need to add the Geometric network to ArcMap.. It's been years since I had 9.0 on a machine, so I don't have it or the online help to give you specific instructions. It should be pretty easy to figure out with those as the basic requirements.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

bhupesh

bhupesh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • India

Thanks for the response.
I will appreciate if anybody who worked on shortest path finding in ArcGIS 9.0 can provide some more details. Even if I can get information regarding weblinks about the precise methodology it will be of great help. I am sure in our vasr forum with so many members would definitly have worked on this problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->