5 replies to this topic

bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Hello, I'm new to GIS world and I'm trying to clip a SRTM grid obtained here http://seamless.usgs.gov/ based on a clipping mask which is a shape polygon with the raster calculator in ArcInfo 9.2 and I'm getting the following error "error in executing grid expression" . Can anyone help me with this please? :)
Thanks a lot.

Edited by bebe onea, 26 February 2007 - 03:54 PM.

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi there,

I have been clipping SRTM tiles lately aswell, but I have been using a different method. Instead of writing an expression in the Raster Calculator to clip my raster I have been using a script from the esri support site called "multi bands raster clipper". Multi Bands Raster Clipper, (follow link to access script) can clip an image based on a user defined polygon, a user defined area by digitising, or just drag a box over the area of interest.
Has instructions on how to implement, and are quite easy to follow.
You still need Spatial analyst though.

I have found it quite handy and I hope you do to :)

Andrew

P.S Also I think Hawths tools can also help with this Hawths tools link

Charlie Frye

Charlie Frye

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Base map design/data model, political/election maps; use of historical maps for modern GIS analysis
  • United States

Hello, I'm new to GIS world and I'm trying to clip a SRTM grid obtained here http://seamless.usgs.gov/ based on a clipping mask which is a shape polygon with the raster calculator in ArcInfo 9.2 and I'm getting the following error "error in executing grid expression" . Can anyone help me with this please? :)
Thanks a lot.

One issue in this area that has bitten me a few times is that the polygon dataset you are using must not contain multi-part polygons. Use the Multipart to Singlepart tool to start, however, if there are any interior parts (holes), you'll need to edit the data to remove them.
Charlie Frye
Chief Cartographer
Software Products Department
ESRI, Redlands, California

bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

The polygon I used it's just a simple rectangle. I simply use it to delimitate the area I'm interested in. I found a tutorial on the internet with this issue and it worked just fine there. But it did't work with my data.

bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Hi there,

I have been clipping SRTM tiles lately aswell, but I have been using a different method. Instead of writing an expression in the Raster Calculator to clip my raster I have been using a script from the esri support site called "multi bands raster clipper". Multi Bands Raster Clipper, (follow link to access script) can clip an image based on a user defined polygon, a user defined area by digitising, or just drag a box over the area of interest.
Has instructions on how to implement, and are quite easy to follow.
You still need Spatial analyst though.

I have found it quite handy and I hope you do to :)

Andrew

P.S Also I think Hawths tools can also help with this Hawths tools link

Thanks a lot.

merft

merft

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • United States

Two things I would check.

1) Make sure that the raster and the shapefile are in the same projection.

2) Make sure that all the files are in a file pathway without spaces or special characters. I usually process files in C:\workspace or C:\temp. Make sure that the filenames are short and don't have spaces or special characters.

-Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->